Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection DRS fails on MESSAGES

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

Does anyone know a fix for getting Unix/Linux OpenSSH to work with larger then 1 gig files? Our mailstore is pushing 2.8 gig in size and the DRS backup is failing on the MESSAGES. If I uncheck the messages option the other components backup just fine.

I've read through other forum posts who say to use other SFTP Servers, but they are for Windows. I've been down the Windows route with the various SFTP servers and want to back it up to a Linux server. I've found a bug id's on OpenSSH and disabling client Alive, etc and have done all those things and the messages backup still bombs out at just over a gig.

Thanks, Erick

5 Replies 5

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Some more info from testing,

After I restarted the DR Master/Local services on the Unity Connection server, the backups completed fine to all the servers I was trying to use. The main server backup worked fine for 3-4 days which uses Solarwinds SFTP on Windows. Then last night it failed on the MESSAGES section again at 40% which is where it always fails. I did a dozen or so manual backups today and all of them completed succesfully except 3 failed for MESSAGES at 40% mark. I also did manual backup to my PC with FreeSSHd and it failed a few times at same spot but completed 7 of the 10 test backups.

Anyone have any ideas on this to get DRS to work without having issues with the MESSAGES part of the backup?

I've seen this issue in cluster scenarios - the messages backup will fail if it is selected to run on the Publisher.  The workaround is as follows:

On your SFTP server / backup path, create separate backup paths for Unity Connection nodes.  Ex:

backups/cuc/pub/

backups/cuc/sub/

For the Publisher, backup to the dedicated path but DO NOT select the messages backup option.

For the Subscriber, backup to the dedicated path and SELECT the messages backup option.  Optionally, you can just backup all components on the Sub. It doesn't hurt to have 2 mirror backups.  In either case, the data is replicated between servers so you can restore either/or backup or component from either server in the event of an issue.

Seen this multiple times.  TAC mentioned a potential bug but was not able to provide any details so I assume no such bug exists or has not yet been documented but the workaround I came up with has worked for me in several clustered CUC environments.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

There is only one unity connection server, I'll try to backup just the messages again but IIRC

that sometimes also failed sometimes with just the messages being backed up.

I do have a TAC Case open on this and am pressing them that is a Cisco-issue and trying to get them from pointing blame to the SFTP Server since I've tried multiple and even ones on their list and have this problem.

Thanks,
Erick

David Corbeil
Level 1
Level 1

any news on this, I have this error to.

40% on messages

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: