Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 switch IDSM license

Haris P
Level 4
Level 4

Dear All ,

I have one Cisco 6509 switch and there is no support contract for this switch and I want to enable firewall service and IDSM-2 on this

Im planning to purchase Firewall services module 3.2 and 600M IDSM-2 Module

Now regarding the license .

What else I need to purchase to keep my IDS signature updated ? whether i need to purchase smartnet contract ?  Is there is any special license needed for FSM module or base license is enough ? Whether I need to buy any special license for 6500 for enabling FSM and IDSM module in 6500 ?

I appreciate your help regarding this questions . Useful comments will be rated

Regards

Haris P

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

chatwithharis wrote:

Dear All ,

I have one Cisco 6509 switch and there is no support contract for this switch and I want to enable firewall service and IDSM-2 on this

Im planning to purchase Firewall services module 3.2 and 600M IDSM-2 Module

Now regarding the license .

What else I need to purchase to keep my IDS signature updated ? whether i need to purchase smartnet contract ?  Is there is any special license needed for FSM module or base license is enough ? Whether I need to buy any special license for 6500 for enabling FSM and IDSM module in 6500 ?

I appreciate your help regarding this questions . Useful comments will be rated

Regards

Haris P

Haris

1) You do not need any additional license for the 6500 to run the FWSM/IDSM modules

2) You do need a license for the ISDM or else you cannot add signatures when they are released by Cisco

3) The FWSM comes with 3 contexts, one admin and 2 other contexts which you are free to use as you wish. If you don't want/need any more than this then you do need an additional license for more contexts. So in this case the base license would be enough. If you need more than 2 contexts which are simply virtual firewalls you will need to purchase an additional license.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card