AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 as Access Point queries

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2010

I have an AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 with AIR-ANT2506, which I am hoping is going to solve some wireless issues I have on an estate.

I currently have a satellite Avanti modem in one house, linked with a Netgear WNR2000 to give the house wireless and am hoping to install this Aironet bridge with ANtenna to give at least one other property which is about 50metres away wireless access as well. The estate actually has 5 other properties on it, the furthest 150 metres away.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to install one of these bridges to act, I am guessing, as an Access Point so it utilises it's radius wireless doughnut for the other properties around it?

If it is easier for me to explain over the phone and with diagrams I am happy to supply, 07887 951682. I have other queries as I may also want to extend the signal across a loch for approx 1.2miles and need to know how to set this up, but initially any step by step guides on how to install this Aironet Bridge so it gives me wireless to a property 50metres away and linked to a satellite modem initially would be fantastic,

Regards, Ian

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
leejohns Fri, 07/23/2010 - 06:59

Ian,

The 1310 is not going to bridge with a Netgear device. It is going to bridge to a another Cisco AP (and I mean Cisco, not Linksys).  I can certianly point you to the 1310 bridging configuration examples (here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/prod_configuration_examples_list.html), but from what you describe, you really need to contact to your local Cisco Account Team or Cisco Certified Partner and talk design for what you want to achieve.

Thanks,

Lee

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 08:45

Hi,

Not sure if you can help with this next question, but this is the set up so far.

The Cisco AP is connected to an ANT2506 omnidirectional external antenna, mounted on the apex of a building. I currently have a signal, however I am not sure how far it should go as it doesn't appear to be performing as it says it should on paper.

I also do not understand the different root bridge, non-root bridge etc......setups on it. There are many many options to change and it is way beyond me.

If anyone can please explain to me how to get the best range out of the antenna I would be most grateful.

I am happy to discuss on the phone if someone could please call me, let me know and I will give the number,

Regards, Ian

leejohns Fri, 07/23/2010 - 09:56

How far the signal will go is a loaded question.  A lot depends on the RF environment, line of site, how high are the antenna is off the group, how long are the connections between the AP and the antenna (path loss on the cable will increase with length) is the AP properly powered, etc.  The ranges listed on the data sheets for APs is in a clean, unobstructed environment so in practice, you will not see coverage that good in the real world.  Since you are using an omni antenna, then you have roughly equal coverage in all directions. If you used a patch or directional antenna, you would get a greater distance in one direction, but not the same over all coverage.

As for the different radio roles...  Root is what you use if only wireless clients are associating with the AP or if you only have a single AP.  If you are bridging, i.e. connecting two wired networks using two or more 1310s, then one of the APs would be a root bridge and the others would be non-root bridges. The non-root associates with the root bridge to establish the wireless link between the wired networks.

Thanks,

Lee

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 10:32

Ok, I think I have it currently set up on Access Point, but as I only require wireless clients I guess Root would be a better option. I have just briefly read about aligning the Aironet with flashing LED's??

The Antenna is on the apex of a Barn, which is about 6-7 metres off the ground and the antenna about 1/2 metre about the apex. The length of Coax cable is the one currently supplied, about 50cm connected through the power injector and onto the Aironet unit.

I am guessing the simplest option could be to purchase another antenna and unit and link the 2 with point to point, but this seems like a very expensive option that isn't specifically necessary? WE are currently not bridging or doing point to point access pointing.

Cheers, IAn

leejohns Fri, 07/23/2010 - 10:42

Access point mode is fine, that is the same as root.  Remember that that is Root and there is also "Root Bridge" mode.  So Access Point mode is the same as Root.  I should have clarified that more, sorry.  If you were actually briding, then you would have root bridge and non-root bridge.

What power injector model are you using?  The BR1310 requires this one http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/products_data_sheet09186a008022551d.html

Lee

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 10:49

Yeah, I think that is the one.

It might be that I am expecting more than I am getting, but literally there is a single storey building 15metres away from the antenna, and I would have thought I would have still got a wireless signal with, say my iphone and I don't. However my new Macbook gets it inside this single storey building which has 1/2metre thick walls.....

My older Macbook Pro doesn't get the signal inside the building. I currently have the Cisco linked in via the Satellite modem and an Apple Extreme Base Station, and now an Express Unit.

BUT, I would have thought the strength of the CIsco Aironet would have been better and was wondering if I was doing something wrong,

Regards, Ian

leejohns Fri, 07/23/2010 - 11:01

That is not very far at all, but depending on the building materials, it could really be blocking the signal. How strong is the signal outside the building across from the 1310?

Lee

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 11:12

When you're in direct line of sight, you get a relatively strong

signal. But again it is strange as it depends on the product trying to

pick it up. The new Macbook kicks arse, but my old Macbook Pro isn't

so great. My old iPhone isn't that great, but my wifes iPhone 3 is a

lot better.

I have some pictures/diagrams I could send you if you wanted to take a

look?

Ian

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 11:12

lot better.

look?

Ian

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 11:16

lot better.

look?

Ian

Tommo2010 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 11:17

I know you are probably just Cisco and not apple, but any idea why

this would come up, ie. the IP address as strange as that -

Attachment: 
leejohns Fri, 07/23/2010 - 11:45

Check to see if there are newer wireless drivers available for those devices. That can make a huge difference.

Lee

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content