Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 VOIP over Internet

gadgroupllc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an employee in another state that I would like to be a part of our phone system.  Our phone system is UC520.  The employee has a Cisco IP Phone Model Number CP-7940G.  I would like to be able to dial an extension and reach that phone. 

How can I get this phone to be a part of our phone system? 

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

VPN.  The UC520 has VPN capability and licenses included.  You wil need to install something at the remote site such asa  Cisco871.  Configure a tunnel and then you can use your phone at the remote site.  Another potentialy easier and cheaper solution would be to use CIPC softphone for the remote site.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

The user in the other state has a D-Link DIR615 and it is L2TP capable. Are there any specifics we need to do in order to establish a connection to the UC520?

I don't know about l2tp.  I would tend to think IPSEC would be the best way to go.  You will need to read up on how to create an IPSEC tunnel for the Cisco and D-Link and get that configured and tested.

A Google search for "uc520 ipsec tunnel configuration" should get you started and then similar for the D-Link side.

One search reult I looked at mentioned that this is not be officially supported by Cisco, so keep that in mind.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/thread/10453;jsessionid=784A689DFE1448FBA286E6F6CD695D82.node0?tstart=-2

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

This Brandon dude is more often right than not... rated