Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM v3.3.1 backup file size incredible 3GB

ROBERTO GIANA
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Does anybody else have backup files with the size of 3GB and more with a CSM v3.3.1 SP1? The interessting thing is that this CSM manages about 30 network devices. Looking into the backup files it's just the "vms.db" file which consumes the most (2.9 GB) of the data.

Is this normal behaviour for a CSM?

Regards

Roberto

7 Replies 7

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The backup size of CSM has indeed increased.

I would suggest you to go under Administration and Config Archive and clear some archived files (leave last 5-10 per device for example). That should decrease the backup size.

I hope it helps.

PK

I tried it and got the following message:

"At present configuration purge is not required because no devices in csm now or none of the devices exceed max configuration versions defined in CSM (10)."

What happens to the vms.db if the devices are deleted? Are the configuration versions of them also deleted?

Kind regards

Roberto

Yes, all the information linked to the that device will be deleted by the database.

Regarding vms.db it is not a file that is present in your system but it is created everytime you trigger a backup. Honestly 3GB is not really big itself so I would not worry too much

Stefano

Hi Stefano

I'm not worried about the size itself. I'm worried, that by just installing a minor software update the backup size increases by the factor of 10. That's ridiculous. TAC wasn't able to provide me a reason. Basicly the answer was something like "it's the way it is".

By the way: Do you want to have something to laugh about? Just try to find out if 64 bit Windows is supported by the CSM. Just little hint: Go through the release numbers.

You will find: Releases pre v3.2 don't support 64 bit, v3.2 does, v3.3 doesn't and for release v4 it's recommended.

mm, it can be a doc bug, however I was not able to find it :-/

As mentioned here 64 bit is not supported until v4 where indeed we recommend it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cisco_security_manager/security_manager/3.2/installation/guide/requirem.html#wpxref1067769

Well. It seems to have been adopted on the web and on newer versions of the doc. I'm refering to the v2 of the v3.2.2 installation guide, as I have used it to install, update and migrate several customer installations.

I think mistakes can hapen. But such mistakes should be at least worth a field notice to inform customers and partners that something has to be corrected. It's not really fun to look like a complete idiot to the customer, one who can not even read install guides.

Hi Roberto,

I understand your point, I will try to bring this back internally .

Regarding the specific issue, indeed that installation guide was wrong and got fixed after we flagged this issue on: CSCsz22077

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsz22077

Sorry for all the confusion it led . Let me know if there is anything else we can do, appreciate your suggestion

Stefano

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card