cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Separate Control and Data Traffic on LWAP's

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to completel separate the control and data traffic on Cisco Light Weight Access Points.  I read about REAP and H-REAP, but that only works in case of an outage where Access Point starts to operate locally.

However I want all our AP's to be able to send/receive data traffic direclty instead of going through the controller(s).  Is Cisco capable to doing that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not true.

If you configure the WLAN for Local Switching, and the AP for HREAP, it always puts the traffic on the wire directly.  Even if the AP is currently connected to the WLC.

The difference, is that an HREAP AP can continue to pass traffic if the WLC goes down, where a local AP will fail.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HREAP would still be the way to go for this.  Even if the AP is local to the WLC, you can configure it to be HREAP and map the WLAN to the appropriate VLAN for the site and have all the traffic be placed directly on the wire instead of backhauling to the controllers.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True however when I was looking into the config guidelines it seems like HREAP will only kick in if the AP loses connectivity to the WLC.  Or if the WLC is offsite, HREAP will kick in if the WAN connection goes down and AP's can't communicate with the WLC any more.

I'd like the data traffic to always be going directly to the network resources instead of going through the WLC and only control traffic to WLC.

Not true.

If you configure the WLAN for Local Switching, and the AP for HREAP, it always puts the traffic on the wire directly.  Even if the AP is currently connected to the WLC.

The difference, is that an HREAP AP can continue to pass traffic if the WLC goes down, where a local AP will fail.

HTH,
Steve

Thank you, now that is what I want to do exactly.  I'll have to test this scenario out.  Thank you for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card