Connecting 3750 stacks

Answered Question
Jun 30th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I have an existing stack of 9 x 3750 switches (stack1).  Due to a proposed data centre move I will need to create a new stack in the new DC (Stack2) and slowly migrate all the switches over to it.  Both stacks will need to be fully active during the migration process.

I have emptied 5 of the existing 3750's and removed them from Stack 1 in preparation.  I know I can connect the two stacks using etherchannel, but that is about it.  I've been searching for any documentation, or best practices but can't find anything relevant to my scenario.

I have multiple VLANs so my questions are -

• What is the best method of connecting the two stacks initially?
  • Stack 1 has an IP address for each VLAN that is the default gateway, so how would I IP the second stack VLANs?
  • I believe the VLAN Db on Stack1 will be shared when I connect the stacks, what will happen when I retire stack1?

Any help or relevant links greatly appreciated.  I've posted this in the getting started forum as although I have done very basic Cisco admin this is a step up for me, if the mods think it should be moved elsewhere please do so.

Dave

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 6 years 10 months ago

What is the best method of connecting the two stacks initially?

If resources allow, etherchannel is a no-brainer.

Stack 1 has an IP address for each VLAN that is the default gateway, so how would I IP the second stack VLANs?

HSRP with the default gateway for each VLAN as the Virtual IP Address.

I believe the VLAN Db on Stack1 will be shared when I connect the stacks, what will happen when I retire stack1?

Depends if VTP mode, password and domain is configured correctly.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Wed, 06/30/2010 - 15:15
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

What is the best method of connecting the two stacks initially?

If resources allow, etherchannel is a no-brainer.

Stack 1 has an IP address for each VLAN that is the default gateway, so how would I IP the second stack VLANs?

HSRP with the default gateway for each VLAN as the Virtual IP Address.

I believe the VLAN Db on Stack1 will be shared when I connect the stacks, what will happen when I retire stack1?

Depends if VTP mode, password and domain is configured correctly.

Leo Laohoo Thu, 07/01/2010 - 15:17
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks for the ratings, Dave.

Ganesh Hariharan Thu, 07/01/2010 - 21:57
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Member's Choice, February 2016

Thanks for the ratings, Dave.

Hey Leo,

Congrats for the another milestone "Green Star"

Ganesh.H

Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/02/2010 - 15:14
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks Ganesh.

Actions

This Discussion