cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where can I find difference between IOS IP base and IP services for 3750E?

yinqingshan
Level 1
Level 1

I need encryption on switch 3750E. But the 3750E feature website only says IOS IP base or IP sesrvices. I can't search detailed information of IP base and IP sesrvices. Where can I find it?

Thanks

Qingshan

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IP Base is a Layer 2 only feature set.  You can't do any Layer 3 routing and you'll need the IP Services and up to do routing.

View solution in original post

taali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

QingShan -

IP Base provides you with Layer 2 features and basic Layer 3 functionality such as static routing, RIP and EIGRP stub.

IP Services provides you with Layer 2 features and full Layer 3 functionality, i.e OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Policy-Based Routing, IPv6 in HW, etc.

Look at Question 2 in the link below for additional details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7077/prod_qas0900aecd805bbea5.html

HTH

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I need encryption on switch 3750E. But the 3750E feature website only says IOS IP base or IP sesrvices. I can't search detailed information of IP base and IP sesrvices. Where can I find it?

Thanks

Qingshan

Qingshan,

The IP base is for the Standard Multilayer Software Image (SMI) switches, and the IP services image is for the Enhanced Standard Multilayer Software Image (EMI) switches in Cisco IOS  Software Release 12.2(25)SEB and later.

The IP Base feature set includes advanced quality of service (QoS), rate limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) functions. Dynamic IP routing protocols (Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), BGPv4, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)) are available only on the IP services image.

The IP Services image provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, which includes advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing. Support for IPv6 Layer 3 switching in hardware is also available with the addition of the Advanced IP Services license to either the IP Base or the IP Services images. Both the IP base Image and the IP services image allow for Layer 3 and Layer 4 lookups for QoS and security.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

taali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Qingshan

Encryption is not supported on the 3750E.

The 3750-X switch that was released not too long ago supports MacSec encryption on the downlink ports.

See:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10745/index.html

HTH

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IP Base is a Layer 2 only feature set.  You can't do any Layer 3 routing and you'll need the IP Services and up to do routing.

taali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

QingShan -

IP Base provides you with Layer 2 features and basic Layer 3 functionality such as static routing, RIP and EIGRP stub.

IP Services provides you with Layer 2 features and full Layer 3 functionality, i.e OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Policy-Based Routing, IPv6 in HW, etc.

Look at Question 2 in the link below for additional details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7077/prod_qas0900aecd805bbea5.html

HTH

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks

Qingshan

Qingshan,

The IP base is for the Standard Multilayer Software Image (SMI) switches, and the IP services image is for the Enhanced Standard Multilayer Software Image (EMI) switches in Cisco IOS  Software Release 12.2(25)SEB and later.

The IP Base feature set includes advanced quality of service (QoS), rate limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) functions. Dynamic IP routing protocols (Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), BGPv4, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)) are available only on the IP services image.

The IP Services image provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, which includes advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing. Support for IPv6 Layer 3 switching in hardware is also available with the addition of the Advanced IP Services license to either the IP Base or the IP Services images. Both the IP base Image and the IP services image allow for Layer 3 and Layer 4 lookups for QoS and security.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

taali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Qingshan

Encryption is not supported on the 3750E.

The 3750-X switch that was released not too long ago supports MacSec encryption on the downlink ports.

See:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10745/index.html

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: