cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Drop and Insert question

mjgower
Level 1
Level 1

I recently replaced a WIC-1T and Adtran DSU with a VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 at both ends of a point to point T1.  The T1 came up immediately, but the second port (connected to PBX) will not come up.  The phone guy says that since he shows a red alarm on both sides, I am not handing him the channels correctly.  I have verified that the PBX is using channels 1 - 8.  Here is the relevant config:

Router A:

----

card type t1 0 0
no network-clock-participate wic 0

controller T1 0/0/0
cablelength long 0db
channel-group 0 timeslots 9-24
tdm-group 1 timeslots 1-8
!

controller T1 0/0/1
cablelength short 110ft

connect t1-xconnect T1 0/0/0 1 T1 0/0/1 1

Router B:

----

card type t1 0 0
no network-clock-participate wic 0

controller T1 0/0/0
  cablelength long 0db
  channel-group 0 timeslots 9-24
!

controller T1 0/0/1
  cablelength short 110ft

connect t1-xconnect T1 0/0/0 1 T1 0/0/1 1

-----

When I enter show connection it says ADMIN UP.

show controller t1 0/0/1 on each router shows loss of signal.

Is there any other troubleshooting that I can do to track down the source of this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use a proper T1 crossed cable.

To evolve the design, use VoIP, not TDM, as it is much better, for many reasons.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use a proper T1 crossed cable.

To evolve the design, use VoIP, not TDM, as it is much better, for many reasons.

Changing the cable at site A immediately got rid of all alarms and sh connection showed UP.

However, the line protocol on Serial0/0/0:0 went down after changing the cable on T1 0/0/1.  There are still no alarms, but I cannot pass data traffic.  We sent somone to the other end and replaced the cable there as well.  Now we have no alarms on any port, but still cannot pass data.  Serial 0/0/0:0 is up but line protocol is down.  Even after unplugging 0/0/1 on both ends, the line protocol on 0/0/0 won't come up.

In this configuration, should the status of 0/0/1 affect the line protocol on 0/0/0? Or am I fighting two different issues?

VoIP was not an option at this time due to lack of DSPs and voice licensing....but may have been much easier.

Matt

Also, the PBX timing options are Loop, Local, or External.  It is set to Loop.  If I understand it correctly, the PBX provides clocking on one pair, then receives it back on the other pair, so it can never get out of sync with itself.  I configured my port for Line.

I didn't see any timing errors, so I assume that this is okay.

Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card