Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU impact with ACLs

Chamindaw_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a requirement to apply an ACL on around 100 interfaces to block sertain ports (UDP&TCP) due to government regulation requirements. I've a 7609 router with SUP720-3BXL superwisor engine (act as a MPLS PE in our netrowk) with average CPU of 40%.

1. Will there be any huge CPU incerase by allpying this single ALC on around 100 interfaces? (Any practical experience with any one of you all)

2. Will ACLs process in control plane; though I apply it in individual interfaces/different line cards?

Can any one help me out to understand this.

Thanks,

Chaminda

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

gephelps
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This can be a  very complex topic. The architecture for the 6500 and 7600 are very similiar so I would read though this document:

Understanding ACL on Catalyst 6500 Series Switches

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/50095

If the ACLs configured do not exceed the TCAM limits and the ACL is programmed into the TCAM then the CPU on the supervisor should not be impacted. If the ACL is programmed into the TCAM then all of the checking will be done by the PFC/DFC.

View solution in original post

Programming the TCAM happens automatically through the software when the ACL is configured. If you use certain features or exceed the TCAM space then the ACL will fail to be programmed and then the traffic will be punted to the control plane.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chaminda,

in  C7600 unless using the log option packets are processed by CEF not process switched

We have ACLs on PE nodes for client Vlans in order of 20-30 clients vlans

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hellow Giuseppe,

Thanks for you r update and sharing your experienc.

Thanks ChamindaW

gephelps
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This can be a  very complex topic. The architecture for the 6500 and 7600 are very similiar so I would read though this document:

Understanding ACL on Catalyst 6500 Series Switches

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/50095

If the ACLs configured do not exceed the TCAM limits and the ACL is programmed into the TCAM then the CPU on the supervisor should not be impacted. If the ACL is programmed into the TCAM then all of the checking will be done by the PFC/DFC.

Hellow George,

Thanks for your valuable update.

Here is my TCAM count.

COL001-PE4#sh tcam counts

Used        Free        Percent Used       Reserved

------                        - ----          --- --------------      --- --------

Labels:(in)          13            4083                    0

Labels:(eg)           3            4093                      0

ACL_TCAM

--------

Masks:                31            4065                        0                            72

Entries:                 193       32575                       0                            576

QOS_TCAM

--------

Masks:                10            4086                      0                             18

Entries:                 52           32716                     0                             144

LOU:                    0                  128                   0

ANDOR:               0                  16                0

ORAND:               0                  16                0

ADJ:                     3              2045                 0

Believe I can use free ACL_TCAM space for my requirement provided it doesn't exceed the maximum limit. Also one more clarification; in your post you have mentioned " the ACL is programmed into the TCAM". What does this really mean? Do we need to perform any thing manually to cater this requirement?

THanks

CHamindaW

Programming the TCAM happens automatically through the software when the ACL is configured. If you use certain features or exceed the TCAM space then the ACL will fail to be programmed and then the traffic will be punted to the control plane.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: