Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA with Pubilc IP's on both sides

abolton291078
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I have a ASA which i would like to put between my router and server but im stuggling to fine a sample config,

The router fully supports all our public ip's directly through and the individual servers which have the public address manually configured, I want to place the asa between the two point and just setup access list to allow specific traffic. Does any one have any ideas on how i can achieve this.

Thanks.....Aaron

5 Replies 5

Hi,

If the ASA is going to have public IPs on the outside and inside, then you can avoid NAT on the ASA.

All you need to take into account is that outbound traffic is permitted by default and inbound traffic must be explicitly permitted by an ACL.

I assume that the ASA is going to act as a Firewall so configure the appropiate Firewall rules as well.

Federico.

would this use two public ip through, i do remember in the past i have used ip unnumbered but the asa doesent seem to support this,

The ASA does not support unnumbered interfaces or loopbacks, what I'm saying is that you can have public range of IPs on both outside and inside.

In that case, NAT is not necessary on ASA.

Federico.

just a quick idea - maybe ASA transparent mode is an option for your setup.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008089f467.shtml

Cheers Michael

I agree with Michael's suggestion.

Just remember the limitations associated with having the ASA in transparent mode (no VPN support, no dynamic routing protocols, etc).

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: