cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarifications on disk encryption

tayyappa
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please clarify the following questions on disk encryption?

Whenever  we enable/disable disk encryption, we are deleting all the cached data.

1.           Why are we deleting all the DRE cache, when we enable/disable disk encryption? Instead we should encrypt/decrypt the data with the key that we got from CM.  If we delete all the DRE cache, then we will lose the compression that  we got from the DRE cache.

2.           How can I verify that the files in the disk are encrypted, after disk encryption is enabled?

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Thenna,

The partitions we encrypt are some of the largest on the system.  We wouldn't have enough disk space to have two copies (encrypted & decrypted) of those paritions.

For verification, you would have to remove the disk drives and mount them on another Linux-based system.  We don't provide a way to browse the cache contents.

Regards,

Zach

Am not asking you to have two two copies (encrypted & decrypted) of paritions.

Insteadof deleting the paritions, you can encrypt the paritions. So that you will not lose the compression that you get from the DRE cache.

If I am encrypting an existing (unencrypted) partition, I have to write the encrypted version of the partition somewhere on disk before I remove the unencrypted version.  Likewise in reverse.  We don't have the disk space to perform this operation.

Regards,

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: