cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS positioning question

joel_mcmillin
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to implement a WAAS infrastructure and I am not sure about how to connect up one part of it. I am using a WAVE 574 with a 4-port inline adapter. I have one branch location that has a dedicated router and is connected using a T1 line. That location is easy. My second branch location is connected via a MPLS connection that also connects us with many other corporate locations that I am not wanting to optimize.

The issue I’m running into is that the MPLS connection is implemented with 2 routers running HSRP so that they appear to only have one IP address. I have attached a drawing that I did in Visio that helps visualize the way I think it should be done, but I am not sure.  The switch is a Layer 3 switch and is the router for the VLANs in the Main Office. I think I could put the 2 MPLS routers and the WAN port from the WAVE on an isolated VLAN and that should work to make sure the traffic gets routed through the WAVE before going out the routers.

Does this seem feasible?

Thanks,

~Joel

4 Replies 4

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Joel,

What you're proposing is possible.  See the attached document for an example.

Regards,

Zach

Zach,

I am working with Joel on this installation.  We have run into a routing loop problem on the WAE-574 at the HQ location.  We originally put the two MPLS router ethernet interface in a HP switch on the same vlan, vlan 880.  However, the MPLS routers are not managed by ourselves, but by a MPLS providor.  The ip addresses of the ethernet interfaces are the same as those on vlan 1.  We have put the mpls routers on stand alone 8 port switch which seemed to work, but is still causing routing loops.  Any ideas?

Hi Brian,

Where are you seeing the routing loop?  In the log messages on the 574?  Do you have an updated topology diagram, or is it still as Joel described but with different VLAN #'s?

Thanks,

Zach

Zach,

The only thing that is different is that we could not configure the router's becasue we don't have access to them.  So the router does not have any trunking, or vlan configured on them.  We took the routers and the WAVE's and plugged them into a stand alone 8 port switch.  We are seeing the routing loop on the 574 WAE device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: