Views
Helpful
Replies

Establishing a VPN with iPad and RVS4000

llcckk1509
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help!  I am trying to configure a VPN from my iPad to the Cisco/Linksys RVS4000 router.  I have tried using the built-in Cisco client over IPSEC, L2TP, and PPTP.  For the life of me I cannot get it to work.  I would appreciate any insight on how to do this (if anyone has!).

Thanks in advance,

Phil

6 Replies 6

mishap
Level 1
Level 1

I have not used a RVS4000, but I googled it and notice people mentioning using "QuickVPN" which as far as I can tell is not compatible with the Cisco VPN Client that is on the Apple devices(they connect to ASA's and PIXs). Although I have never used L2TP or PPTP versions of the cisco client. I would have thought they would be less proprietary.

We have the same issue...Can't get the iPad to connect to the RVS4000....Tried everything...

If you configure a VPN user on the RVS4000, it just requires username and password but the iPad Cisco VPN client requires a shared key.

As Kenneth suggested, It looks like the RVS4000 client VPN only supports QuickVPN...

So, we configured a tunnel on the RVS4000 and tried to connect using PPTP and L2TP but no luck...

Anybody get this to work?

Have you done any debugging with commands like debug ppp error and debug vpdn error? If so what was the output?

Here is the VPN log from the RVS4000...

#62: policy does not allow Extended Authentication (XAUTH) of initiator (we are responder). Attribute OAKLEY_AUTHENTICATION_METHOD

#64: OAKLEY_DES_CBC is not supported. Attribute OAKLEY_ENCRYPTION_ALGORITHM

#64: no acceptable Oakley Transform

I'm not sure how to pull the debug info from the iPad client...

After much research, I came to the conclusion that the RVS4000 cannot connect to the built-in iPad VPN client.  The Cisco IPSec client does not work on the Cisco/Linksys small business line (it appears only QuickVPN works).   Also, since the RVS4000 does not have a native L2TP or PPTP server built-in, these protocols cannot be used either.

In short, I gave up on it and set up an iVPN server instead.  I have successfully connected my iPad to it via L2TP.

Cheers,

Phil

With the new IPad Version 4.2.1 it appears to support L2TP  and PPTP. Has anyone tried to connect the IPad to a RVS4000 VPN with the new version software?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: