cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to prefer voip peers over pots peers

oldcreek12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a situation that both POTS dial-peers and SIP voip dial-peers have the same destination pattern on C2801 which is acting as an IP-IP gateway and MGCP gateway, whenever SIP calls come in from CUCM, C2801 routes the call to POTS dial-peer, how can I force SIP voip dial-peer is preferred?

Thanks,

Jian

11 Replies 11

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Set 'preference 2' under the POTS peer, and 'preference 1' under the SIP peer.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hmm, I don't think preference works across pots and voip dial-peers ...

Well.. I think it does :-)

Do you have SIP-SIP connections permitted?

voice service voip

allow-connections sip to sip

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Jian,

The preference command applies to POTS, VoIP, VoFR, VoATM. If the same preference value and destination pattern are configured on a POTS  and a VoIP dial peer, POTS must have priority over the VoIP dial peers. Use preference command to indicate the preference order for matching dial peers in a rotary group. Setting the preference enables the desired dial peer to be selected when multiple dial peers within a hunt group are matched for a dial string.

Hope to help, if it does please rate.

Kind regards,

-- Adrian.

Tracy Larson
Level 4
Level 4

Try this, i have had the same issues with 2801 routers and brought it up to TAC and still there is no fix. Just reorder your dial-peers in your config. Thats right, sounds stupid but works. Order your dial-peers in the order you want them used so that when you issue the command "show run" you see them listed from top down as you would want them to be utilized.

Try this, i have had the same issues with 2801 routers and brought it up to TAC and still there is no fix. Just reorder your dial-peers in your config. Thats right, sounds stupid but works. Order your dial-peers in the order you want them used so that when you issue the command "show run" you see them listed from top down as you would want them to be utilized.

Wow, if you can prove that preference cannot win over DP order, I will be happy to fight for a bug to be filed, as that is not my experience neither what the doc said.

And its only with 2801 routers, i have never had the issue on 2811, 2821's etc. Even opened two cases with TAC and they were baffled. I will see if I cant drum up the old case somehow and I will post it. I am curious to see if this is the same thing that I ran into a while back. There have been others that hit this as well not just me. Preference didnt do anything for the dial peers.

I Just observed this exact same behavior on a new 2921 with IOS Version 15.1(1)T1.

Three dial-peers with identical destination patterns were not matching correctly.  Once they were reordering in the config, they matched as they should.  The only other work around I could figure out was appending the $ character to the destination-pattern in the dial-peer I always wanted matched first, making it the most specific match.

THANK YOU for this post, i thought i was going crazy, and this was a simple fix.  I tried reordering preferences so many times......

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be honest, I when I had similar issues, it always turned to be my incomplete understanding of of matching works, especially partial / early match.

smmillerd
Level 1
Level 1

Found this documents after my post:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/dial_peer/dp_confg.html#wp1068229

The section on hairpinning explains this behavior.  I believe it to be normal.