Views
Helpful
Replies

3G for MPLS backup over IPSEC/DMVPN

iholdings
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm am looking to configure thirteen locations currently on MPLS - using Cisco881G backup routers with 3G cards.

I have two options:  either IPSEC to the firewall or DMVPN to our core ASR.

The two 881G routers I have - one came with a Verizon 3G card and one with a Sprint - I can basically use either for my test router, but from what I've read, there may be some issues with these early deployed cards (we purchased the routers and cards early on but have not had a chance to use them).  Also, I'm testing this on a point-to-point (proof of concept + access to both routers) but I'm assuming I can get the MPLS provider to comply with required changes on their equipment.

I'm looking for feedback on which way to go - IPSEC to FW or DMVPN to ASR.  I was also thinking of using HSRP with the MPLS routers.  Will EIGRP be the routing protocol to switch between the networks?  We have a managed MPLS - so I do not have direct control over those routers.

Thanks for any assistance and direction you can provide.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Iholdings,

with 13 sites I would use DMVPN to the ASR. EIGRP can be used as the routing protocol over the DMVPN cloud

see the solution reference network design for DMVPN

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/DMVPDG.html

wth two routers you can emulate a DMVPN with one hub router and two spokes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco