Public IP addresses from service provider

Unanswered Question
Jul 2nd, 2010

Hi All,

we have a block of IP addresses from service provider. it seems one of the IP addresses doesn't exist. beside pinging the IP address, how can we make sure service provider assigns all IP addresses?

any suggestion would be very appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
manish arora Fri, 07/02/2010 - 09:58

what block of ip address are you assigned ? for ex for a class c subnet a.b.c.0/24  a.b.c.0 will be the network address ( given ip subnet-zero is enabled ) , then one of the address in it would be the gateway address and one will be broadcast address. The rest you can use , bind them to you machines , if you do not have that many machines then you can configure  policy nat on for ex cisco asa that will bind multiple public ip to single private ip and you can check the ip's. also, you can use this website to see that the ip's are assigned to you in the arin data :-

hope it helps

Richard Burts Sat, 07/03/2010 - 11:12

Perhaps I am not understanding your question correctly. You say that the service provider has given you a block of addresses. When a service provider gives you a block of addresses it is my experience that the addresses are for you to assign. Perhaps you could provide some additional details that would help me to understand the question better.

This Discussion