This discussion is locked

Unanswered Question
Jul 2nd, 2010

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about the deployment and technology of Unified Compute System (UCS) with Mike Frase.  Mike is one of 16 Cisco Distinguished Support Engineers. Mike joined Cisco in 1994 as one of the first CCIE certified Escalation Engineers in the Cisco Technical  Assistance Center. He has provided leadership in many new technology areas including storage area network technologies, for which he acquired his second CCIE certification in Storage Networking. More recently he has led the way in NX-OS support for technical services teams worldwide, and he is currently specializing in data center/consolidated IO architectures and designs. Mike holds CCIE certification #1189 and is also a VmWare Certified Professional.

Mike might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event.

Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through July 16, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
j.miller_32 Thu, 07/08/2010 - 12:53

Hi Mike,

When upgrading the UCS , can the different components like the 6100 Fabric Interconnect, Blade server Mezz cards, and CMC be upgraded to different levels?

mfrase Mon, 07/12/2010 - 08:25

The Package bundle for the UCS upgrades is a package, Fabric interconnects, IOM modules, UCSM , Interface cards & CIMC all require upgarde at same time, only part of package that can be done independent is the BMC BIOS that can be applied via firmware policies for the Service Profile

Marwan ALshawi Sat, 07/10/2010 - 18:10

i am jut wondering if there are some documents describe the following in more details/examples:

- UCS NICs and the virtual connectivity

- configure ESX to boot from SAN with UCS

- i heard there is a GUI called cloud manager to manage the entire UCS chassis/servers as one entity to allocate space, hardware ..etc is there any document for this one too

Thank you

mfrase Mon, 07/12/2010 - 09:07

Ho[e these links will help with

- UCS NICs and the virtual connectivity

- configure ESX to  boot from SAN with UCS

As for the cloud manager can you tell me if this was a announcement News or where you heard this.

tenaro.gusatu.novici Mon, 07/12/2010 - 03:48

Hi Mike,

let me start by asking some basic stuff: if I'm using B-series UCS (chassis with Fiber Interconnect etc) on one side and there is a big storage on another side will it be necessary to use Nexus switch(es) in the middle or I can connect this directly? Can you give me some benefits why should my customer go with Nexus?

Jeremy Waldrop Mon, 07/12/2010 - 04:06

You can connect the Ethernet uplinks on the Fabric Interconnects to any northbound 10GB Ethernet switch. 1GB support was also just added with the 1.3 code but I would not recommend you go that route as you will need to bundle several together to get enough bandwidth to support all of the server blades. Using Nexus 5000s to uplink the Fabric Interconnects to give you a nice 10GE/FCoE aggregation point for UCS and any other 10GE device like rack mount servers with CNAs. A pair of Nexus 5000s also would give you the ability to create vPCs (similar to multi-chassis EtherChannel) for the Fabric Interconnect uplinks.

This Discussion