Views
Helpful
Replies

delete existing ios to free space for upgrading in 3560

saki27011982
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

i want to upgrade 3560 to new ios image.Iam using .bin file to upgrade.When i compared the remaining flash size(7mb) to new ios image(10 mb), it is less.

I have only one old IOS image.Iam worried if i put" delete flash:<filename>, i will not be having any ios to input other commands.I have went through many cisco documantation which tells to have atleast one old ios as back up.my problem is ,i have only one ios and i need that to be upgraded.can any one show me the right path?

and i need to do this upgradation on another 2 more switches, whichis the easiest way to upgrade other two ?

thank u for helping,

regards

Saki

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Saki,

you can do it because the IOS is loaded in memory when the switch is booted at startup.

However, experience suggests some safety measures:

before deleting the file from flash upload it to your PC using TFTP or FTP

to upload you can use from priviled prompt

copy flash:iosname.bin tftp:

you will be asked the IP address of the TFTP server

if possible, check if the switch can boot from a TFTP server running on your PC so that you can check if the new IOS image can be executed on it

note:

to boot from TFTP you need to have in first place the statement

boot system tftp://a.b.c.d/newIOSfilename.bin

were a.b.c.d is the IP address of your TFTP server running on your PC.

you need to save the configuration and to reboot it.

At this point you can delete the old image (you may need to use the squeeze command to really free space on flash after using delete flash:iosname.bin) and you can do a copy tftp flash: you will be asked the IP address of the TFTP server and the filename.

DO NOT POWER OFF the switch after having deleted old filename and squeezed the flash.

squeeze flash:

! copying new IOS image in flash:

copy tftp: flash:

To be noted if new file size is greater then 33 MB you may need to use an FTP server.

in order to use the command copy ftp flash: you need to configure in global config ftp username and ftp password using the commands

config t

ip ftp username

ip ftp password

end

the idea is to leave open the possibility to load the old IOS image again if needed (so the upload step)

you may need to use another name instead of flash: to indicate the flash use dir /all to see all the available filesystems in the switch

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear All,

i want to upgrade 3560 to new ios image.Iam using .bin file to upgrade.When i compared the remaining flash size(7mb) to new ios image(10 mb), it is less.

I have only one old IOS image.Iam worried if i put" delete flash:, i will not be having any ios to input other commands.I have went through many cisco documantation which tells to have atleast one old ios as back up.my problem is ,i have only one ios and i need that to be upgraded.can any one show me the right path?

and i need to do this upgradation on another 2 more switches, whichis the easiest way to upgrade other two ?

thank u for helping,

regards

Saki

Hi Saki,

Giuseppe suggested the right way as to take the backup of the existing ios in pc via tftp and then perform the procedure for delteing the ios from flash to realse the space.Afterwards u can do the procedure for new ios via tftp to flash.

ciscorouter# copy flash: tftp:  for old ios backup

ciscorouter#copy tftp: flash: for new ios to flash.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card