cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question for SP Engineers

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

What are SPs using more these days, Cisco or Juniper?

I know for a while Juniper really made some inroads in the SP space and was beating Cisco. Has Cisco caught up?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are SPs using more these days, Cisco or Juniper?

I know for a while Juniper really made some inroads in the SP space and was beating Cisco. Has Cisco caught up?

Thanks

Hi,

As far as i know in core backbone of most of the service provider we have juniper series high end routers but cisco are not far behind in the competiotion as they are moving in with ASR and 7600 in backbone area and obviously they dont have competition  in enterprise network as they are leading the area with mid range switches and routers.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh:

What about the Cisco 10Ks and GSRs? The 7600 and the 9000 are typically deployed at the WAN edge for SPs.But the 10Ks and GSRs are typically deployed in the core.

What Juniper routers do SPs usually use in their networks and how do they  map to Cisco?

Thanks

Ganesh:

What about the Cisco 10Ks and GSRs? The 7600 and the 9000 are typically deployed at the WAN edge for SPs.But the 10Ks and GSRs are typically deployed in the core.

What Juniper routers do SPs usually use in their networks and how do they  map to Cisco?

Thanks

Hi,

You are right that depends on the bandwidth and capacity how much SP is going to handle for the customer,with deployment what i have seen is SP are well settled with 7600 acting as core backbone in MPLS and 10000 series are future growth for few SP in future to replace the 7600 series.

With Juniper M and MX series are leading the show with there a 320 Gbps high-performance routing platform.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Juniper is also gaining some market shares with their new switches (EX-4200, EX-4500 and Ex-8200).  They are pretty decent switches and are used in enterprise environments.  The nice thing about these switches is that they run the same software (JUNOS) just as their routers do.  They also have a fairly new firewall (SRX series) that also runs JUNOS.  It makes management a lot easier when don't have to worry about multiple images with different cli functions.

HTH

Reza

A huge project in Vegas where I contracted at used 3560s in every room (I think the list topped off at 4600 rooms so contracting = alot of unpacking!), running fiber back to Junipers (Distro/Core).  That was on the guest side of the network, the admin side used Juniper exlusively.  I had a chance to learn alittle of Junos, and using that was being taught Pascal then over to C, I was there cause I loved it therefore, I learned it.

I noticed our local Comm College is starting Juniper courses also this fall also.

Reza/Jimmy:

Your answers have nothing to do with my question.

Thx

Well, that was when I worked in the IT Hospitality industry.  Currently I work (Clear) with a lot of Ciena and some Foundry switches, very few Cisco or Junipers.

Joe, Juniper used to lead Cisco in the SP space, but no longer. For Cisco, the big SP core guns are the CRS-3 routing system, the GSR and the 10K, with 7600s either on the edge (more typical) or in the core.Junipers go with the MX series routers.

Jimmy, his question was specifically about SPs, so your experience in the Hospitality industry is not helpful.

By the way, Clearwire uses Juniper MX-240s, MX-960s and Cisco 7600s in their IP cores. Each market has a core. The Ciena's are used to provide PBB-TE tunneling for the Ethernet backhaul from the base station/cell sites to the aggregation routers at the IP core for the particular market. The Foundry switches (now Brocade) are deployed in the VPN/management environment.

HTH

Victor

Some older markets (Expediance) such as Amarillo still use Foundrys, but I agree, he is looking for answers that are more deeper than I have the experience to offer.

Good luck though !

Jimmy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card