cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed E/G 3750 stack, G is master following stack reload

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

I'm working on a site with 3750 switch stacks built using a mix of E 48 port and G 24/48 port units, all running 12.2.53 IPBase.

The E series are set with the highest priority.

Following a complete stack reload or power failure the 24 port G becomes active first, and as the other switches in the stack havent yet reloaded, it becomes stack master. I think is simply due to the fact it is the quickest unit (least electronics or diagnostics) to reload.

So I loose the additional features of the E series in the stack, in this case its the enviromental information relating to chassis tempreatures. If the master is reloaded once the stack is back online, the E switch with the highest priority becomes master, according to the configured priority value.

Reading through all the posts on this subject I dont think there is a way around this, we may just have to accept this is the way the stack works. But before signing off on this I am asking if my understanding of this is correct, or is there any way to guarantee the E becomes master following a stack reload without the second reboot?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  You are absolutely correct.  The 3750E will complete a reboot/reload last because it's just too "slow".

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  You are absolutely correct.  The 3750E will complete a reboot/reload last because it's just too "slow".

Unfortunate, but if that's they way it is I'll have to live with it. It would be useful if there was a command available to force an election.

Curently if a complete stack reload takes palce then we have to reboot the master (assuming its a G switch), this forces an election and the switch that has the highest priority becomes the master, which is what we wanted in the first place.

Very true.  This Saturday I'll be mixing 3750E and 3750X and one of the things I'll do is to see who boots up first.  I want the "X" to be the master.

Thanks for the ratings.

Please post up your experience of the mixed X and G stack, I was asked about this yesterday, but don’t have any experience of the X series 3750 so couldn’t help my colleague.

Our initial thoughts regarding the Mixed G and E was to use EEM to monitor the stack. If following a total reboot of the stack and the master not as the switch we specified then we wanted to force an election. Only way we found to do this was to reload the current master, then found that IP Base didn’t support EEM anyway, so just have to live with it.

"No battle plan survives contact with an enemy."

Bureaucrats!  Bah!  Humbug!

Couldn't mix the "X" with the "E" because some pencil-pusher decided, at the last effing minute, that it's too risky.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card