cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminal server-connecting to console port on a switch

j-gavigan
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect a Cisco 2620 with an NM-16A= card to a Cisco switch console port so that I can telnet via this router to the switch. The switch is to be used as a standalone ethernet aggregate solution so I cannot just use one of the 10/100 ethernet ports on the switch itself.

Only problem is I cannot get the switch console port to bring up the port on the NM-16A= card. The NM-16A port will come up to either the console or Aux port on a router however when I connect the NM-16A= port to the console port on the switch it will not activate.

Also could somebody provide me a link to the required commands to configure this NM-16A= card correctly?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Under the async line on your terminal server, all you require is:

line X

no exec

speed 9600

stop 1

This assumes your switch's console baud is set to the default of 9600 bps.  Depending on the switch model, you may also try connecting a rolled vs. straight-through cable to see if that makes a difference.  On a PC-to-console connection for a Cat3k, for example, you would use a rolled cable.

Hi Joseph, thank you fpr your reply. I posted this and then promptly went on holidays hence my slow reply!

I tried to implement your config however it fails to work. The first available line on my NM16=A card appears to be line 33. I configure as per your guidance to no avail as the port refuse's to come up to the console port on my switches (I've tried a couple of switches by now). I've also tried your rollover cable suggestion and that does not work either, My router is a 2620 and the switch is a WS-C3560-24TS. I also configured the switch console port as 9600, stopbits 1. I think that 9600 may be the default rate for this port anyhow so it probably made no real difference...

Are you using an octal cable out of the 2620?  If so, try a straight-through ethernet cable.  Yes, 9600 baud is correct.