cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link over Fiber

LiRuPerez
Level 1
Level 1

I have dark fiber from Site1 to Site2 and from Site2 to Site 3, so Site2 is only a "bridge" site. My problem is that at Site3 I need to have separated T1's. The distance from Site1 to Site2 is around 50 miles, and from Site2 to Site3 is less than 30 ft. Can I go with a 2960 at Site1/ Site2 and from there to an IPMUX at Site3 (see attachment)? If yes how should I configure the 2960 and which SFP module should I use? Is that the best solution?

Thank you very much,

Liz

2 Replies 2

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Untill and unless at layer 2 its ethernet from end to end, you should not have problem. For connecting devices using 2960 using fiber at a distance of 50 KM, ZX mode SFP is desired. i.e. 1000BaseZx which supports long haul distance upto 100 Km

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have dark fiber from Site1 to Site2 and from Site2 to Site 3, so Site2 is only a "bridge" site. My problem is that at Site3 I need to have separated T1's. The distance from Site1 to Site2 is around 50 miles, and from Site2 to Site3 is less than 30 ft. Can I go with a 2960 at Site1/ Site2 and from there to an IPMUX at Site3 (see attachment)? If yes how should I configure the 2960 and which SFP module should I use? Is that the best solution?

Thank you very much,

Liz

Liz,

With 30ft distance it wont be a problem with cisco 2960 switches,check out the below link on sfp modules with distance listed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card