cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable snmp trap link-status only on access ports?

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I am searching for a way to disable the snmp trap link-status only on access ports.

The problem is that we have a lot of new devices which have no port scheme, so I can't say that everytime the router uplink on a switch is on port X or Y.

So I have to figure out where my uplinks to routers, accesspoints or other switches are and set all other ports to

no snmp trap link-status

no logging event link-status

spanning-tree portfast

Campus Manager knows the uplinks between the devices, but there is no way to perform such a change, right?

The next problem is, that there is nothing configured on the ports, so I can't search for a string by using compliance check in RME.

Is there any posibility to get the topology informations from CM together with the configuration feature from RME?

Thanks a lot!

Sven

7 Replies 7

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

I think creating port groups in RME is your best bet. But this is a manual job and it is static.

Indeed the info you need is there inside LMS product, in Campus and especially in DFM. But no way AFAIK to get it out.

It would be very nice if LMS would have port groups like that standard availalble.

Alternatively if you use Campus to create RMON entries to do bandwidth utilization monitoring on all ports that have CDP neigborgs, the remaining ports (without the RMON) are the ports you wish to target using the RME compliance tool.

Cheers,

Michel

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I thought of something like you wrote...

There is a best practice report for disabling cdp on access ports.

Creating this report for a switch and click on "fix" the CM will configure the command "no cdp enable" on every access port.

So I will have a difference between uplinks and access ports.

The problem with that solution is, that I can't fix all my switches with one job.

And with >1000 switches it is not really possible to click every device.

Any further advice?

Thanks!

Sven

This will take some perl skills on your part but you could create a perl script that connects to each switch and excutes a number of commands. I use to manage 100+ Cisco devices and needed to make the changes to all devices, the perl allowed me to get it done in minutes.

http://nettelnetcisco.sourceforge.net/docs.html

The link above will get you started.

Thanks for the link.

The problem is, that I don't have any pearl skills....

I think it is impossible to get such scripts running without basic knowledge.

Sven

Hi Sven! :-)

so changing a bit the lines of the fix for the CM discrepancy "disable CDP on access ports" would be an option?

If so, I will have a look at it but unfortunatley not before beginning of next week...- or someone finds another solution....

This is not going to help you, but I did notice that in LMS 4.0 I have these port groups.

You can now select 500 devices and do something on all their access ports, or all ports having an IP phone connected, or all uplinks, etc

The port groups can now be defined dynamically.

So glad cisco finaly sees the added value of this!

Cheers,

Michel

I suppose there is some truth to that, but there are a number of examples on the web that could help. It is a very useful tool when manage a large number of Cisco devices.

Del Murphy CCNA CCDA

PAML Network Support