Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Unity Connection 7.1 with multiple languages

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I am installing a Unity Connection 7.1(5) system that will support users in various European countries (UK, France, Germany etc.)

I have installed the relevent localization files and they work ok.

For messages played to subscribers I know that I can set the langauge on the Edit User Basics page and that works fine.

I am struggling with controlling the language that is played to callers who are leaving messages. With the standard Call Routing rules and Call Handlers the language played always seems to be US English (this is set as the system default).

On the Opening Greeting call handler the langauage is set to Inherit Language from Caller - how does this work? - does it mean that if a subscriber whose user langauge is set to French calls a subscriber whose language is set to German and the call gets forwarded to Unity that the system will play a greeting in French??? - if yes how does it handle calls from non-subscribers?

If anyone can answer the above or point me to a best practices document for configuring multiple language support I would be most grateful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You will definitely need to create a routing rule to control the language, but if you go to Bulk Edit for the extension with the range for the desired language, you will find a setting for Language the user hears as well as the language the caller hears.  I only found this setting under the bulk edit tool.

I had this problem with a system in South America between Spanish, Portuguese, and English...

It is on the Profile Tab

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The setting uses the last language configured for the next items (other than the default), this is mostly used when you provide the main greeting and the language options.

Spanish press 1, German press 2, English press 3, etc.

So the call handler for 1 you set the language as Spanish and the rest of the system as inherit. So on for the rest of the options.

Recording Greetings in Multiple Languages

With a Cisco Unity Connection multilingual system, you can give users  the option of providing greetings in multiple languages when the  greeting language for the primary call handler of the user is inherited.  For example, if Connection is set up to provide prompts in French and  Spanish, it is possible to record the standard greeting in both  languages so that Spanish- and French-speaking callers can hear the  greeting in their own language.

To enable this option for an individual user or a template, select the  Language Callers Hear: Inherit Language From Caller setting on the Edit  Message Settings page.

If a greeting is not recorded in a language that the system provides,  Connection plays the system default greeting for calls that are  associated with that greeting. Note that this feature is not available  with the voice-recognition conversation.

Language of System Prompts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag130.html#wp1055643

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the reply Java.

I am still a bit confused.

If for example the DNs used by Spanish phones were in the range 2500 to 2599 would I need to do the following to play the Opening Greeting in Spanish when a Spanish phone calls a German subscriber (DN 3500).

1. Create a Call Handler similar to the standard Open Greeting, set the language to Spanish and save as Spanish Opening Greeting
  2. Create a new Forwarded Routing Rule with a condition that checks if the Calling Number is 25?? and, if so, sends the caller to the Spanish Opening Greeting Call Handler created in the previous step.

If this is correct then how do I handle calls from external PSTN users?

Thanks

You will definitely need to create a routing rule to control the language, but if you go to Bulk Edit for the extension with the range for the desired language, you will find a setting for Language the user hears as well as the language the caller hears.  I only found this setting under the bulk edit tool.

I had this problem with a system in South America between Spanish, Portuguese, and English...

It is on the Profile Tab

Got a question on this. Once you set the language through bulk edit to one particular language, is there a way to bulk it back to "inherit language from" option back? I'm afraid if it's a one way street?  Please verify? or suggest if there is a way to bulk it back to inherit option?

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: