Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Email Notification

Steve Baker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Unity Connection so that when a user recieves a new voice message, an email is automatically sent to them to let them know. The email shouldn't contain the actual message, its just to inform the end user they have voicemail.

Systems we are using

Unity Connection 7.0

MS Exchange 2003

In Unity I have gone to Smart Host and entered the IP address of our Exchange server. I have also gone to notification devices and configured smtp for my account. Unfotunately no emails are coming through when I receive a new voicemail.

I'm guessing I have missed something here as this setup seemed far to simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you're using FQDN, you're going to need to make sure DNS is configured. It sounds like DNS may not be configured, hence the error message about host resolution. You can go to Micro traces for SMTP and crank all of them up and then re-attempt with the IP address smart host and see if the additional logging gives more detail.

Brad

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steve,

The easiest place to start would be to turn Exchange Message Tracking on to confirm whether or not the message is making it and possibly getting hung up in a queue somewhere.  The other option is to collect the SMTP traces using the RTMT tool on UC and see if there are any failures there.  Those 2 places should tell you what's going on.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the reply. I tried running the RTMT with both the FQDN as the smart host and the IP address. With FQDN I got the following:

07/06/2010 14:47:15.136 |10262,,,SMTP,12,Thread=SmtpClient-Delivery-4; class=com.cisco.unity.smtp.client.CsUnitySmtpC_MsgDelivery;Exception while resoloving Host. Host Name=ourserver.our.domain.lan Exception=java.net.UnknownHostException: ourserver.our.domain.lan: ourserver.our.domain.lan|
07/06/2010 14:47:15.136 |10262,,,SMTP,12,Thread=SmtpClient-Delivery-4; class=com.cisco.unity.smtp.client.CsUnitySmtpC_MsgDelivery;Error resolving Host. Generating NDR for the Message. Host Name=ourserver.our.domain.lan Message ID=MAL.bd3a90d3-0a5e-42d7-b6f2-74e61ba2efab|

When I tried it with the IP address I didn't get any sort of log at all.

Any ideas? Is there anywhere else where I should be specifying this server / IP address?

Thanks

Steve

If you're using FQDN, you're going to need to make sure DNS is configured. It sounds like DNS may not be configured, hence the error message about host resolution. You can go to Micro traces for SMTP and crank all of them up and then re-attempt with the IP address smart host and see if the additional logging gives more detail.

Brad

Thanks for your help Brad, the extra detail showed a problem communicating with our main exchange server. We've pointed it at our front end server instead and it appears to be working now.

Great!  Glad it's resolved.

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: