Repeater with WLC 526

Unanswered Question
Jul 6th, 2010

Dear everyone

I searched for hours and followed every guide but it still istn't working and I've no idea why.

Here is my setup:

Notebook with WLAN enabled (windows 7) --> WLAN Repeater (Cisco 1131AG) --> Cisco Air-LAP521 registered at a WLC 526 Controller

The Repeater is running on Version: 12.4(21a)JY

The WLC526 is running on Version: 7.0.98.0

What I want to do:

The Repeater should simply extend the range of my WLAN network on a physical location where I only have power available but no LAN connection. On the WLC are 3 SSID's configured, I only need one of them to be extended via the Repeater.

I followed this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_11_JA/configuration/guide/s11rep.html

It seem's the Repater successfully authenticates with the WLC via the 521 AP but the Client is never able to ping anything in the Network.

ap#show dot11 associations

802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0:

SSID [*****] :

MAC Address    IP address      Device        Name            Parent         State    
001b.772d.7071 172.27.120.34   ccx-client    ap              self           Assoc   
001c.b005.6330 172.27.254.125  LWAPP-Parent OG1_AP2         -              Assoc  

172.27.254.125 is the WLC

172.27.120.34 is the Client (Notebook)

From the Repeater it is possible to ping the Client, and it is possible to ping different Devices in the wired LAN. It is also possible to ping the WLC.

From the Client it is possible to ping the Repeater, but it is NOT possible to Ping the WLC or any device inside the wired LAN. The test was done with fixed IP on the Client because DHCP didn't work too.

Why is this? What is missing?

Any help is highly appreciated! :-)

Regards, Dave

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Schwarzhans Thu, 07/08/2010 - 04:32

Got my answer from TAC now:

For anyone who tries the same: This is not supported. In detail: Repeater AP with any WLC.

However you could use an LW-AP with two radio interfaces connected to the controller and then use an autonomous AP with two radios as WGB. Connect the WGB via 5Ghz to the LW-AP and use the 2,4Ghz radio on the WGB as AP for your clients.

In my particular case this unfortunately is not possible because I use 521 LWAP which do not have 5Ghz radios.

Actions

This Discussion