Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile Connect requirments

charl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have CUCM 8.x running and am now looking at Mobility (including SNR). From what I have read so far is the following:

- Support for iPhone by installing firmware file on CUCM & adding Dual Mode for iPhone device + loading App onto iPhone

- Support for Nokia clients (S60) by installing firmware file on CUCM & adding Nokia S60 device + loading client onto Nokia device

the above two works without CUMA

- Is there support for BLackBerry devices  on CUCM 8.X like above & do I need CUMA for this?

Seems there is lots of overlapping functions & names which makes it pretty confusing.

Any help appreciated.

thnx

Charl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Charl,

You're exactly right.  There are lots of overlapping functions & names which makes it pretty  confusing. 

1) CUCM Mobility Feature

CUCM Mobility Feature works without CUMA server or any smart client (without any software running on smartphones).  This includes:

Mobile Connect (a.k.a. Single Number Reach/SNR/Simultaneous Ringing).

Mobile Voice Access/Enterprise Feature Access (a.k.a. MVA / EFA).

2) Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator (a.k.a. CUMC)

CUMC requires CUMA server and smart clients (smartphones).  CUMC supports Nokia, Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile.

3) Cisco Mobile

*Supposed* to be the next generation of CUMC.  Does not require CUMA.  But requires smart clients (smartphones).  Since Cisco Mobile is still under development, there are some limitations:

#1 Right now, it only has iPhone version.

#2 It does not cover all features of CUMC.  (which means, you still need CUMC if you want those features).

If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Charl,

You're exactly right.  There are lots of overlapping functions & names which makes it pretty  confusing. 

1) CUCM Mobility Feature

CUCM Mobility Feature works without CUMA server or any smart client (without any software running on smartphones).  This includes:

Mobile Connect (a.k.a. Single Number Reach/SNR/Simultaneous Ringing).

Mobile Voice Access/Enterprise Feature Access (a.k.a. MVA / EFA).

2) Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator (a.k.a. CUMC)

CUMC requires CUMA server and smart clients (smartphones).  CUMC supports Nokia, Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile.

3) Cisco Mobile

*Supposed* to be the next generation of CUMC.  Does not require CUMA.  But requires smart clients (smartphones).  Since Cisco Mobile is still under development, there are some limitations:

#1 Right now, it only has iPhone version.

#2 It does not cover all features of CUMC.  (which means, you still need CUMC if you want those features).

If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Michael

Michael,

Excellent thank you for your answers. Makes more sense now

Now that you have defined it for me, I am looking at Cisco Mobile. So I am loking for the Nokia & BlackBerry equivalent of the Mobile Connect for iPhone and you say it is not available yet.

Any idea when support for the other smart phones will be available?

Thnx

Charl

Unfortunately, no ETA on Cisco Mobile for Nokia and BlackBerry.  If you want the features on those phones, you'll have to use CUMC with CUMA.

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: