cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP across dual 16 port NME EtherSwitch

sbogener
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a single standalone 2821 configured w/ a 9 port HWIC Etherswitch acting as a choke router at one of our vendor access points.  If I wanted to upgrade this design to provide diverse access, I would need to deploy a second 2821 access router as well as a diverse L3 switching solution that would allow me to run HSRP configuration.

If we replaced the 9 port HWIC w/ a 16 port NME, would we be stack those two switches, share a single VLAN DB and run HSRP across the two modules.  These would be installed in two separate router chassis.

Regards,

Shawn Bogener

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If we replaced the 9 port HWIC w/ a 16 port NME, would we be stack those two switches, share a single VLAN DB and run HSRP across the two modules.  These would be installed in two separate router chassis.

Yes, that's a supported design.

Regards,

Edison

Edison,

Thank-you for your quick response.  Since we do not have a need for POE, would you recommend the NM-16ESW or NM-16ESW-1GIG module over the NM-16ESW-1G-P?

Regards,

Shawn Bogener

NM-16ESW or NM-16ESW-1GIG are modules that run the same IOS as the router.

Vlan configuration and IP addressing is done at the router level and the module is simply there for port density.

However, NME-16ES-1G-P is a total different animal. It runs its own version of IOS (similar to a 3750 switch) and needs to be managed independently.

Either hardware will work in your design, the determining factor is cost and administration.

Regards,

Edison

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco