Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC Modules compatibility

fvalpondi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I got a network with Siemens Scalance XR300M switches, and I got to do an optical connection to a Catalyst 3750 (3750G-24TS-1U).

The Siemens has a Gigabit Interface with SC Ports over SMF@1310nm (10 km module).

Which GBIC module should I use to connect both of them?

I looked at cisco.com and I saw only one SFP@1310 GBIC module (GLC-EX-SMD). But it is for longer distances!! (I suppose that a SMF@1300nm module will not be compatible with the SMF@1310nm in the Siemens Switch, right?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Fabio

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

"bit I just saw that there are 1300nm-1310nm converters for non DWDM links"

Can you post the link what you saw? As i saw only 1300Multimode to 1310 Single mode converter. It is totally different thing.

Like Optical power have range for a transmitter similarly Optical Wavelenght have a range and i am 99.999% sure that 1300/1310 will fall into that. (i didnot get any document and dont have much time to research.). If you have 50 same transmitter from Cisco you will find that all are at different wavelength defined by standard.

For your satisfaction ask your cisco supplier that i have siemens optical module will this work with that one or not.

View solution in original post

viyuan700 is correct is what he says.

The  Cisco GLC-LH-SM transceiver will interface  with your Siemen's Gigabit Ethernet 10km SMF interface. The actual IEEE  802.3 spec for Gigabit Ethernet 1000BASE-LX outlines a transmit and receive wavelength range of 1270 to 1355 nm;  which covers both 1300 and 1310nm. Look at Section 38.4 - PMD to MDI  optical specifications for 1000BASE-LX for the specifications. 

The  data sheet posted on Cisco's website (link below) indicates the  GLC-LH-SM= is 1310nm.

Cisco Gigabit Ethernet SFP Data Sheet

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html>

Sometimes  vendors used 1300nm as a designation for MMF interface and 1310nm for  SMF.  Probably a reason but I don't know why.

I  hope this helps!  Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tom

The connector mismatch does not matter.  You can easily purchase hybrid optical jumper cables with SC connectors on one end and LC connectors on the other.

Good luck!

9 Replies 9

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

1000BASE-LX/LH SFP for Both Multimode and Single-Mode Fibers and for SMF  for 10Km like the pther you have check this link for comptibility matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

I found -like you said- this module:

GLC-LH-SM=

1000BASE-LX/LH SFP transceiver module for MMF and SMF, 1300-nm wavelength, dual LC/PC connector

Anyway, my Siemens device uses 1310nm wavelength....Is it a 1300nm module compatible with a 1310nm module???

Is it a 1300nm module compatible with a 1310nm module???

10nm diference matters when we consider DWDM systems but for these modules it doesnot matter that much. Will work without problem and even these modules follow standards too.

Sure? Googling a little bit I just saw that there are 1300nm-1310nm converters for non DWDM links.

"bit I just saw that there are 1300nm-1310nm converters for non DWDM links"

Can you post the link what you saw? As i saw only 1300Multimode to 1310 Single mode converter. It is totally different thing.

Like Optical power have range for a transmitter similarly Optical Wavelenght have a range and i am 99.999% sure that 1300/1310 will fall into that. (i didnot get any document and dont have much time to research.). If you have 50 same transmitter from Cisco you will find that all are at different wavelength defined by standard.

For your satisfaction ask your cisco supplier that i have siemens optical module will this work with that one or not.

viyuan700 is correct is what he says.

The  Cisco GLC-LH-SM transceiver will interface  with your Siemen's Gigabit Ethernet 10km SMF interface. The actual IEEE  802.3 spec for Gigabit Ethernet 1000BASE-LX outlines a transmit and receive wavelength range of 1270 to 1355 nm;  which covers both 1300 and 1310nm. Look at Section 38.4 - PMD to MDI  optical specifications for 1000BASE-LX for the specifications. 

The  data sheet posted on Cisco's website (link below) indicates the  GLC-LH-SM= is 1310nm.

Cisco Gigabit Ethernet SFP Data Sheet

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html>

Sometimes  vendors used 1300nm as a designation for MMF interface and 1310nm for  SMF.  Probably a reason but I don't know why.

I  hope this helps!  Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tom

Thanks!!

Anyway, the different connector types won't be a problem, right?

The connector mismatch does not matter.  You can easily purchase hybrid optical jumper cables with SC connectors on one end and LC connectors on the other.

Good luck!

fvalpondi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! :-) :-)