cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer to Call Handler

Neal haas
Level 3
Level 3

I have setup a new Callhandler for a Department. It works fine, never an issue Now the Department wants to forward phones to this call handler when people are away from the phones.

I cannot get it to work when you do a "CFWDALL" on the phone, you never get anything but that phones voicemail.

If the end user call forwards their phones to 12489 (call handler) you only here there voicemail never the call tree. if the phone does not not have a voicemail box then you get "Please enter the extension . . ." it never goes to the call tree.

Is there a way to get around this? I have tried creating new Voicemail Ports but that does not help.

I watch RTMT and the call shows only the original phone number never the call tree number.

I have tried creating a Translation patter 12488 and have it trnslate to 12489 but this does not work, it shows the same thing on RTMT

How do I forward a phone call to a "Call Handler"?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Neal,

Just to add an alternative to the great tips from Hailey and Java (+5 each guys!)

I would try Option #2 after tweaking this setting in CUC 7.x

This is available in Unity Connection 7.x;

Via

Cisco Unity Connection Administration

Advanced (towards the bottom of the page)

Conversation Configuration

Use Last (Rather than First) Redirecting Number for Routing Incoming Call

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Neal,

Do you have the extension of the Call Handler applied as a forwarding routing rule or directly on the CH object itself?  Secondly, do you have a CTI route point set up in CUCM that directs calls to the CH or what is that call flow?

Hailey

Thanks for the response, I have done it 4 different ways.

1. CTI Route Point (12487) --> Unity Conn - Call Handler. It works.

2. Forward from any phone --> CTI Route Point (12487) --> Unity Conn - Call Handler, this does not work.

3. Forward from any phone --> Voicemail Pilot (12489) --> Unity Conn - Call Handler, this does not work.

4. Forward from any phone --> Translation Pattern (12488) -->Voicemail Pilot (12489) --> Unity Conn - Call Handler, this does not work.

For 2-4 I always get the phones voicemail, or if the phone does not have voicemail I get the message asking to type in a voicemail box number.

Neal

That's expected to happen, by default you always use the original called number to reach CUC.

Configure a call routing rule to catch those calls and direct them to the call handler you want.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Neal,

Just to add an alternative to the great tips from Hailey and Java (+5 each guys!)

I would try Option #2 after tweaking this setting in CUC 7.x

This is available in Unity Connection 7.x;

Via

Cisco Unity Connection Administration

Advanced (towards the bottom of the page)

Conversation Configuration

Use Last (Rather than First) Redirecting Number for Routing Incoming Call

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob that was the answer!!!!

thanks for the help!

Rob,

While that may work, I think that there would be an unintended side affect. To illustrate.  If you had a scenario like this:

Phone_A calls Phone_B which forwards to Phone_C which forwards to voice mail.

If both Phone_B and Phone_C have voice mailboxes I would suspect that the users would want CUC to send the caller (Phone_A) to the mailbox greeting for Phone_B.  If the parameter "Use Last (Rather than First) Redirecting Number" is enabled then the caller (Phone_A) would be sent to the mailbox greeting for Phone_C (rather than Phone_B).  Based on my experience, users prefer to have callers integrate to the mailbox of the original redirecting party in the majority of use case scenarios.

Neal,

While this setting fixes this one issue it may introduce other issues.  Certainly Hailey, Rob, Java are all capable of correcting me if I am wrong on this one.

Assuming I am correct, then I think I would go with option 4 and then add the appropriate Forwarded Routing Rule under Call Management>Call Routing.  You will want to place the rule in front of "Attempt Forward" and modify the information element fields accordingly.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

You're absolutely right Bill.

On your scenario you'd end up in Phone C's VM. Usually this is not what the calling party wants to happen.

Also, since the change is clusterwide, this will happen to all calls.

It does solve the problem, however introduces this effect for all the users.

If you're ok with the behavior, you can leave it.

Otherwise, you need to solve this using routing rules to handle only those calls.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Bill

I thought about that too. I will need to look into it more, RIght now they are testing a new system so I will look into it next week.

Thanks

Neal,

Bill is right.  I thought might have gone with Java's suggestion last night but there has been more discussion today.  So, to weigh in - this is probably not the solution you want system-wide.  In fact, from experience I can say that it's not.  So, I concur with Bill here.

Hailey

i know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else comes across this, I have handled this scenario in Call Manager via Voice Mail Profile Configuration.  You can set up a new Profile, point it to the correct Voice Mail pilot, and chnage the Voice Mail Box Mask to reflect the correct Call handler number.  Then use this profile for the Voice Mail Profile for the DN that is forwarding to the Call Handler.

Hope this helps someone!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Guys,

Nice conversation here

I've added one more +5 point vote for Bill's good explanation of

the "side effects" for this config change. It's funny....most of our users

expect that if they forward their DN to another user's DN the VM will follow

along. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about changing this setting

since we fired up CUC just to not have to answer the Phone A>B>C question

anymore but then I would get the other user calls who expect things to

work the way they currently do.

I guess it's like my Dad used to tell me;

"You can't please all the people all the time"

I should have added this caveat for Neal's benefit, so thanks for chiming in.

Cheers!

Huff

What, Please everyone? Hey I work for the Government!

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: