cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metroethernet "router" using a 3560G Layer 3 switch

kenlorenzo
Level 1
Level 1

hi Guys, I''m ordering Metroethernet connection for one of our sites and normally, we provide a router with an RJ45 interface and

the provider basically gives us an RJ45 line. All we do is program the FastEthernet interface of the router with an IP and off we go.

My question is - is it possible to use a Layer 3-enabled 3560 Switch instead and just use one of the 48 ports? I understand normally,

you create a layer 3 interface not by adding an IP to a port but creating a VLAN IP.

Will this work for a metroE deployment or do I need a real router for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can configure one of the compatible ports as a layer 3 port and connect it to the MetroE connection. That will work just like your router. Under the port configuration you need to disable switchport mode (no switchport) and then configure the IP address. One thing you need to remember is the switch will not support some of the features like VPN (terminating on the switch), tunnels, and NAT. If you are not using any of those features, I do not see any reason why you should not be using the switch instead of a router. Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can configure one of the compatible ports as a layer 3 port and connect it to the MetroE connection. That will work just like your router. Under the port configuration you need to disable switchport mode (no switchport) and then configure the IP address. One thing you need to remember is the switch will not support some of the features like VPN (terminating on the switch), tunnels, and NAT. If you are not using any of those features, I do not see any reason why you should not be using the switch instead of a router. Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi Guys, I''m ordering Metroethernet connection for one of our sites and normally, we provide a router with an RJ45 interface and

the provider basically gives us an RJ45 line. All we do is program the FastEthernet interface of the router with an IP and off we go.

My question is - is it possible to use a Layer 3-enabled 3560 Switch instead and just use one of the 48 ports? I understand normally,

you create a layer 3 interface not by adding an IP to a port but creating a VLAN IP.

Will this work for a metroE deployment or do I need a real router for this?

Hi,

You can configure a ip address in l3 port in cisco 3560 switch and do routing with external world and internal as well as suggested by Nagaraj with ip base series ios but is you want only routing of traffic and no natting and vpn tunnel you can go otherwise a router will be good choice.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: