Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber optic Communication sudden loss on Catalyst WC-2960

tariqtaha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Am newbie with FO communication with Cisco switches.

Am using Catalyst WC-2960 switch with FO patch panel to route fiber optic communication. It's working fine, but communication lost occurs randomly. If am trying to ping my devices on the other side, out of 50 pings , 5 are lost.

Please advise what to do?

Appreciate your quick response,

Regard,

Tariq Taha

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the interface config of your SFP?

Does the interface show  going down with the "show logs"?

Hi leolaohoo ,

How to get the SFP interface config and the log?

I don't know how to connect to the switch diagnostics platform. I don't an IP of the switch and there is no serial port.

Regards,

Tariq

Tariq,

Do you know how to console or telnet into the switch?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah i saw the console port... but it's not for normal ethernet cable isn't it...

i know about telnet...

what do i need to do ... to start a telnet session with the switch?

Tariq

Tariq,

You need a management IP address on the box before you can telnet to it.  If you already have a management IP on it then just open up Secure CRT or putty or any other alike application you have and access the device

HTH

Reza

tariqtaha wrote:

Hi Mike,

Yeah i saw the console port... but it's not for normal ethernet cable isn't it...

i know about telnet...

what do i need to do ... to start a telnet session with the switch?

Tariq

Hi Reza,

I don't have management IP on the switch, what i neeed to do to set it..

Thanks,

Tariq

Tariq,

If there is no IP on the switch, then you need to login using the console port.  For this you need a console cable that comes in the box with all the switches and routers.  Once you login via console then you can add a management IP for future use for telnet access.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco