Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7, Line Group and MWI

richb1971
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have a longest idle line group where the users do not have their own mailboxes. I need voicemail on the pilot number if unanswered and the message available to all the line group members with MWI on same phones.

Any clues? I've tried alternate extensions but the MWI doesn't work.

Thanks

Rich

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Rich,

You're on the right track my friend

Message Waiting Indicators

Cisco Unity Connection can set message waiting indicators (MWIs) at up to 10 extensions for a user when new voice messages arrive.

When a user account is added, Connection automatically enables the MWI at the primary extension for the user.

You can change MWI settings, and add or delete MWI extensions in Cisco Unity Connection Administration on the Message Waiting Indicators page for a user.

To Add MWIs for Other Extensions

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the user for whom you want to add another MWI.

Step 2 On the Edit menu, click Message Waiting Indicators.

Step 3 On the Message Waiting Indicators page, click Add New.

Step 4 On the New Message Waiting Indicator page, check the Enabled check box.

Step 5 In the Display Name field, enter a description for the MWI.

Step 6 Optionally, check the Inherit User's Extension check box to use the primary extension for the user as the extension on which the message waiting indicator (MWI) appears.

Step 7 In the Extension field, enter the extension for the MWI. When entering characters, consider the following:

•Enter digits 0 through 9. Do not use spaces, dashes, or parentheses.

•Enter , (comma) to insert a one-second pause.

•Enter # and * to correspond to the # and * keys on the phone.

Step 8 In the Phone System field, click the name of the phone system that the extension is assigned to.

Step 9 Click Save.

Step 10 Repeat Step 2 through Step 9 as necessary.

http://www.cisco.biz/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac040.html#wp1267728

Cheers!
Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alternate Extensions will cause Unity to prompt for a mailbox login when a direct call originates from that number instead of playing the opening greeting. In addition to this, you will want to add MWI destinations under Edit > Message Waiting Indicators.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Rich,

You're on the right track my friend

Message Waiting Indicators

Cisco Unity Connection can set message waiting indicators (MWIs) at up to 10 extensions for a user when new voice messages arrive.

When a user account is added, Connection automatically enables the MWI at the primary extension for the user.

You can change MWI settings, and add or delete MWI extensions in Cisco Unity Connection Administration on the Message Waiting Indicators page for a user.

To Add MWIs for Other Extensions

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the user for whom you want to add another MWI.

Step 2 On the Edit menu, click Message Waiting Indicators.

Step 3 On the Message Waiting Indicators page, click Add New.

Step 4 On the New Message Waiting Indicator page, check the Enabled check box.

Step 5 In the Display Name field, enter a description for the MWI.

Step 6 Optionally, check the Inherit User's Extension check box to use the primary extension for the user as the extension on which the message waiting indicator (MWI) appears.

Step 7 In the Extension field, enter the extension for the MWI. When entering characters, consider the following:

•Enter digits 0 through 9. Do not use spaces, dashes, or parentheses.

•Enter , (comma) to insert a one-second pause.

•Enter # and * to correspond to the # and * keys on the phone.

Step 8 In the Phone System field, click the name of the phone system that the extension is assigned to.

Step 9 Click Save.

Step 10 Repeat Step 2 through Step 9 as necessary.

http://www.cisco.biz/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac040.html#wp1267728

Cheers!
Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Hey Rob,

Thanks for reply. The problem is this is for a Hunt Pilot so there is no primary physical user. I need to enable MWI for the helpdesk who are sat behind the Hunt Pilot.

Can you offer any ideas?

Rich

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rich,

Let's say the Hunt Pilot DN is 5000. You would create a mailbox

in Unity Connection with the following;

Alias = helpdesk

Firstname = Help

Lastname = Desk

Displayname = Help Desk

Extension = 5000

Then we can add up to 10 of the Line Group member DN's

as the added MWI DN's as shown in the previous post. When

calls route via 5000 through the Hunt/Line Group and end up

at Unity Connection the Greeting for 5000 will be played. The MWI

Lamps for the Line Group Members that were designated as

"new" MWI DN's under 5000 will go RED.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Following up on an old post. I have this exact scenario - hunt pilot rings a broadcast group, then forwards to voicemail. The voicemail DN matches the hunt pilot, greeting plays, messages are left. The MWI can be sent to a group of phones, but how would users know whether their personal extension has voicemail or their group "general mailbox" has voicemail?

TIA,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Hope all is well

This really doesn't work well at all if the users have their own

personal mailboxes, as you have noticed. For Rich (OP) his

users didn't have VM so this option worked well for him. In your case

you really need a second number on the users phones if at all possible

to make this work. They don't have to be DID numbers just any phantom

numbers would work so they can distinguish which mailbox to access.

You could also make these new numbers Alternate extensions on the

Group mailbox to make access easier for them.

Cheers!

Rob

Sounds like we're on the same track. I was thinking of a phantom extension that has a VM profile for the Hunt Pilot DN, and adding that phantom as the MWI in Unity. It's ugly, but should work. Thanks -as always- for the info.

FYI, under the circumstances I can't just use a secondary appearance across the board. I have a flurry of sites that all phones need to ring on incoming main calls, but each user also has their own DN/VM ... and many only have 7911 phones.  So line groups it is...

Regards,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: