Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs in HSRP

nasheer.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am having a doubt on Vlan-HSRP. In my environment each floor is divided on a separate Vlans.For each floor one Fibre cable connected from each interface like for 1st floor giga0/1 with vlan 2.......up to 8th floor with Vlan9. Each Vlan configured with HSRP. when Iam shutting down one Vlan it is not switching over to the secondary path but when iam shutting down the Giga interface it ios shifting to the secondary interface.

Please suggest me on configuring to switch over the vlan with out shutting down the interface/switch.

regds

Nasheer

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Experts,

I am having a doubt on Vlan-HSRP. In my environment each floor is divided on a separate Vlans.For each floor one Fibre cable connected from each interface like for 1st floor giga0/1 with vlan 2.......up to 8th floor with Vlan9. Each Vlan configured with HSRP. when Iam shutting down one Vlan it is not switching over to the secondary path but when iam shutting down the Giga interface it ios shifting to the secondary interface.

Please suggest me on configuring to switch over the vlan with out shutting down the interface/switch.

regds

Nasheer

Hi Nasheer,

If you are shutting down the vlan svi interface in primary switch then it should jump to standby switch of the group in the same vlan.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

I think HSRP hellos are not making through to HSRP routers on a segment. Can you post show standy brief and show standby output. Also the physical interface connecting to floors are access ports or trunks ?

hmm one more thing to watch for do you have any trunk link between HSRP speaking routers/switches

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Scott_O'Brien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

do you have preempt set up? also you may want to set up Decrement tracking. can you please post config of active and standby switch

thanks

Scott

Hi,

Attaching the configuration of Active & Standby

Regards

Nasheer

Hi,

The HSRP configuration of primary switch is ok. but you can add "preempt" command on the secondary also.

I am suspecting that there is no trunk interface enabled on both the switches,due to this HSRP hello packets are not able to send and recieve between them

can you paste the output of the below commands on both switches

#sh int trunk

#sh standby brief

Thanks

Karuppu

Hi

Please find the command output result.

regds

Nasheer

Hi,

The configuration  is ok .

Do a continuous ping from one of the desktop from ay floor. then shut down the vlan on the primary switch and the most important thing is the PC should be in the same vlan which you are going to shutdown.

Can you try to do and update into the forum.

Thanks

Karuppu

Hi,

When iam tracing It is switching over to the secondary switch Vlan IP and from there it is giving request timed out message.

regds

Hi,

Then, there is some issue with your routing part.

Since you are able to reach the gateway,the issue is not becas of the HSRP.

Thanks

Karuppu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: