Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960-S Lan Base and Lan Lite

Hello,

I am trying to understand the new generation of 2960 switches: the 2960-S.

Currently I am using the C2960G-24TC-L which is fine.

The thing is that I am trying to understand the differences between the Lan Base and Lite of the 2960-S. The only thing I discovered is that the Lite doesn't support stacking. That's fine, I don't need it. BUT is it realy the only difference (e.g. between a C2960S-24TS-L and a C2960S-24TS-S)?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi all!

Thanks for all of your answers. I've already seen the links you've given, but they were for the 2960. Do they also apply for the 2960-S? I wonder...

Hi,

Check out the below link for difference between the LAN Base and LAN Lite switches for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series switcehs:-

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-577519.pdf

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Q. What are the notable differences between the Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base and LAN Lite switches?
A. Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base switches have several advantages:

• Gigabit Ethernet connectivity in 8-, 24-, and 48-port configurations

• RPS support and support for a wide range of SFP transceivers

• Enhanced security through Layer 2-4 access control lists (ACLs), DHCP Snooping, and more extensive Network Admission Control capabilities such as Web authentication and 802.1x enhancements

• Additional QoS capabilities: The LAN Base IOS supports policing, class and policy maps, differentiated services code point (DSCP), AutoQoS, and configurable queue weights, buffers, and thresholds

• Higher network-level availability with features such as Flex Links and Link State Tracking

• Increased number of VLANs (256) and other enhancements such as IPv6 Host, MLD Snooping, LLDP-MED, RSPAN, MVR, DHCP Option 82, and IP SLA (responder)

Q. What are the similarities between the Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base and LAN Lite switches?
A. Both Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base and LAN Lite Switches support the following capabilities:

• Scalable and highly secure network management: Secure Shell (SSH), Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), Secure Copy Protocol (SCP), and SNMPv3 crypto

• Network management tool support by CiscoWorks, Cisco Network Assistant, and Catalyst Device Manager

• Baseline Network Admission Control and 802.1x MAC Auth Bypass and Protected Port

• Voice VLAN and voice-aware port security, BPDU Guard, and Root Guard

• Standard QoS with Class of Service (CoS) marking, Shaped Round Robin, Weighted Tail Drop, and Strict Priority scheduling

• Link aggregation using Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP) and 802.3ad LACP

• Complete Spanning Tree Protocol support via 802.1s, 802.1w, and PVST+

• VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP), Cisco Discovery Protocol v2, and LLDP

• Multicast support in hardware with IGMP Snooping, Filtering, and Querier

• Troubleshooting and monitoring tools such as TDR, SPAN, and UDLD
For a full list of software features supported by the Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/catalyst2960.

Hi Jac

Please find the attach were you will get a detail of 2960 Switches,

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I am trying to understand the new generation of 2960 switches: the 2960-S.

Currently I am using the C2960G-24TC-L which is fine.

The thing is that I am trying to understand the differences between the Lan Base and Lite of the 2960-S. The only thing I discovered is that the Lite doesn't support stacking. That's fine, I don't need it. BUT is it realy the only difference (e.g. between a C2960S-24TS-L and a C2960S-24TS-S)?

Thanks!

Check out the below link for difference between the two

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/prod_qas0900aecd80322c37.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi all!

Thanks for all of your answers. I've already seen the links you've given, but they were for the 2960. Do they also apply for the 2960-S? I wonder...

Hi all!

Hi,

Check out the below link for difference between the LAN Base and LAN Lite switches for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series switcehs:-

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-577519.pdf

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Yes it helps!

Thanks!

Yes it helps!

Thanks!

That Great if it was helpful for you,It would be helpful if you can mark this thread as answered and rate the helpful post,so that others can be beniffited.

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco