cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port speeds

starthorn2
Level 1
Level 1

My core port speed is set to a-100 and a-full. The switch the  core port is connected to is set to a-1000 and a-full. I am having problems when I connect to the access layer switch.

When I change my core to 1000 speed  I can't telnet into my access switch. When I change the core back to 100 I can. Also when I telnet into my access layer switch, go into the port (int gi0/1) and type speed 100, it tells me its an unrecognized command. It won't let me change the speed.

What am I doing wrong? Do i need to use a console cable to change the speed of my access layer switch?

2 Replies 2

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not sure what kind of switches you are using. But, seems like you have an incompatibility between the switches. The best way to address it would be to enable auto-negotiation on both ends.

interface

speed auto

duplex auto

This will ensure that both ends exchange their capabilities and then negotiate a common speed/duplex settings. Here is a document that explains the need for autonegotiation.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/power/en/ps1q01_hernan?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

Here is a document that lists the compatibility issues.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Note: Please rate useful posts

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My core port speed is set to a-100 and a-full. The switch the  core port is connected to is set to a-1000 and a-full. I am having problems when I connect to the access layer switch.

When I change my core to 1000 speed  I can't telnet into my access switch. When I change the core back to 100 I can. Also when I telnet into my access layer switch, go into the port (int gi0/1) and type speed 100, it tells me its an unrecognized command. It won't let me change the speed.

What am I doing wrong? Do i need to use a console cable to change the speed of my access layer switch?

What is the model of switch and version ? and what are you getting under interface mode when you try to configure speed along with question mark like

if)#speed ?

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: