Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP routing

one basic doubt

when i create a VLAN 172.16.30.0/24

generally i do the routing in EIGRP as network 172.16.0.0 so can we use network 172.16.30.0 0.0.0.255 in eigrp routing

karthik

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EIGRP supports VLSM. So, yes, you can use "network 172.16.30.0 0.0.0.255" statement. Please make sure that if you have different major networks on the router, you have disabled "auto-summary".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Note: Please rate useful posts

View solution in original post

Hi,

eigrp in case of no wildcard mask , will consider classfull mask for that network segment which in your case is class b mask ( 255.255.0.0 ). so assigning a wildcard mask will make sure that Eigrp knows the exact vlsm subnet is attached to the interface.

hope it helps

manish

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

one basic doubt

generally i do the routing in EIGRP as network 172.16.0.0 so can we use network 172.16.30.0 0.0.0.255 in eigrp routing

karthik

Hi Karthik,

EIGRP carries the subnet mask in the routing update, and it does support both variable length subnet masks (VLSM) and Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR). In other words, you can subnet your network from the classful boundaries (where a class A network is 10.0.0.0 with a 255.0.0.0 subnet mask, etc.), and EIGRP will work fine.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

6 Replies 6

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EIGRP supports VLSM. So, yes, you can use "network 172.16.30.0 0.0.0.255" statement. Please make sure that if you have different major networks on the router, you have disabled "auto-summary".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Note: Please rate useful posts

Hi,

eigrp in case of no wildcard mask , will consider classfull mask for that network segment which in your case is class b mask ( 255.255.0.0 ). so assigning a wildcard mask will make sure that Eigrp knows the exact vlsm subnet is attached to the interface.

hope it helps

manish

Thanks for the reply I got the needed information

Thanks

Karthik G

Network Administrator

BHUSD

(310)-551-5100 x2357

Thanks

Karthik G

Network Administrator

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

one basic doubt

karthik

Hi Karthik,

EIGRP carries the subnet mask in the routing update, and it does support both variable length subnet masks (VLSM) and Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR). In other words, you can subnet your network from the classful boundaries (where a class A network is 10.0.0.0 with a 255.0.0.0 subnet mask, etc.), and EIGRP will work fine.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Thanks

Karthik G

Network Administrator

BHUSD

(310)-551-5100 x2357

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: