Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 540 : Single Phone - Multiple Users

drew.salmon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Let me start by saying I am a UC500 & voice newbie. I am helping a company with a UC540 install, and I have a question.

Is it possible for 3 users to share one phone with the following:

1. There will only be one person, of the three, using the phone in a given day

2. Each of the 3 users should have a unique extension, DID, & voicemail

3. The 3 users should have a shared extension & voicemail

Hope that is clear for all you experts out there. If you need any futher info, let me know.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Drew,

In short yes this can be done with your UC-500 series appliance.

However it is not a simple task, and it needs to be done via CLI and this could be a potential issue for you if you are a newbie

I don't have access to any documents on hand that I could post up that will explain to you Hot Desking or Hunt Group Login/Logout but needless to say it can be done.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

Thank you for the repsonse. Let me clarify my statement a bit. I am a UC500 & voice newbie; however, I am not a newbie to Cisco. I have been working with Cisco gear since 1999. I am very familiar, and comfortable, with the IOS CLI, so I won't be intimidated by making those changes via the CLI at all. Here is what I am trying to get setup and working:

UC500 for voice & WIFI (corp WIFI with dedicated VLAN & Guest WIFI with web auth & dedicated vlan)

ASA5510 facing their fiber connection to the Internet (working now)

3560-48 as the "core" switch in the MDF, running a L3 image & routing

3560-24 as an access switch in the IDF, running IPBASE

MS SBS 2003 (I would LOVE to integrate UC500 & Exchange if possible)

Any input/advice on the above would be appreciated.

At any rate, my post was for these three users. I will research the hot desking thing some. It seems like that is extension mobility. Any further info you can provide on this configuration would be helpful.

USER A - DID - this should ring, when called, the days he works. User should have personal voicemail.

USER B - DID - this should ring, when called, the days he works. User should have  personal voicemail.

USER C - DID - this should ring, when called, the days he works. User should have  personal voicemail.

SHARED EXTENSION: Voicemail. DID & Voicemail that will be accessible by USERs A, B, & C.

Thank you!

ambleside
Level 1
Level 1

I'd love to see a documented answer.  This issue is why I didn't sell any Linksys one systems and now I'm encountering it with the UC540 - I was sure Cisco must have fixed this over the past several years.  I have NEVER encountered a business that didn't require this - split shifts, warehouse workers, interns, every retailer, every restaurant, almost every consulting practice....Many of these companies would be fine with zero phone - multiple users - basically mobility only - but I don't know how to do that either.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

This is what I have now that may or may not be useful to you:

http://uc500.com/configuring-extension-mobility-cme

http://uc500.com/call-manager-express-uc500-and-unity-express/extension-mobility

When I say Host Desking yes I do mean mobility, mobility is just the Cisco term and most people out there that I have dealt with know it as Hot Desking, and that is what I have known it to be as well.

The last scenario you describe might also be able to be done, however to achieve it you would most likely have to disassociate the phone to a user in the CUE module, this way you can setup multiple users with their own mail boxes and when they log in, they are forced to put in their Pin (Their extension number) and the allocated password... This is the only way i think that scenario could be done, but I aint an expert on these things and have only done it once before, it was a mess and took me days on end to get it right and caused more problems and headaches then what it was worth.

Everything you ask for up there is easily done in Call Manager, just point and click, choose the options you want and its all done. I believe CME to have limitations to it mainly because it was designed for small business, and maybe in Ciscos eyes/views some of the features many requires are not actually small business requirements??? Just a thought

I will find the configuration document, since I had everything on my old work provided laptop I have to spend a fair bit of time finding and saving all my documents I have been collecting for over a year

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: