cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How much SSIDs / Clients are possible / recommended on a wlc / ap ?

Hi all,

does anybody know where I can find information about limitations and recommendations of the following values?

I already checked cco but did not find anything in the data sheets, configuration and design guides.

1. maximal vs. recommended SSIDs on a LAP. Is this dependent on AP type? We use 1010, 1030, 1131AG with 802.11a/b/g.

2. maximal vs. recommended SSIDs on a 440x WLC

3. maximal vs. recommended concurrent connected clients per LAP

4. maximal vs. recommended concurrent connected clients per SSID on a LAP

Many thanks in advance,

Thorsten

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Autonomous AP and WLC support up to 512 SSIDs but only 16 SSID is active at any one time.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

jcosgrove
Level 1
Level 1

Thorsten,

I have not really seen any good design numbers from cisco on this but if someone has them it would be appreciated.

The more SSID's you add to an AP and wireless environment the more management overhead/traffic is generated vs. amount of air time there is so if you can make your network work with the least amount of SSID's the more wireless user traffic you will be able to support.

Amount of clients per AP is also dependent on the amount of data the clients need to run.  Also more clients associated to an AP and not moving data the more processing power on the AP as well as management traffic to each associated user.  I have a class of devices that they want on the network but only need to download data 1 time every few months.  Not sure if it is better to put these devices on a seperate SSID that I only activate for the day or 2 that they need it or is it better to just leave them associate to an existing SSID.  When they are not associated they constantly poll the AP's and try to associate.

Let me know if you get any good answers to this question.

JC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card