cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic loss

ccnak1ing
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 clients that A and B.  A sends periodic updates to B however B does not receive all updates, I have ruled out routing as some updates are being received and no change of configuration has occured.  client A is on a 10 half duplex interface, which has high collisions (collisions are expected on half duplex interfaces).  My question is do high collisions on a switchport affect data throughput? apart from the collisions seen the port is clean with no errors.  Are there any other checks I can carry out in the meantime while waiting for my App engineers to get back to me?

3 Replies 3

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Collisions do affect the traffic adversly. Depending upon the type of traffic you are sending, TCP might retransmit again (a set number of retransmissions) but UDP will drop the packet. You can use "show controller ethernet-controller " to see the collision statistics.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Thanks guys, I was kind of hoping the messages would be TCP and therefore retransmit, but I'll change the duplex settings and see if this makes a difference.

Regards

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have 2 clients that A and B.  A sends periodic updates to B however B
does not receive all updates, I have ruled out routing as some updates
are being received and no change of configuration has occured.  client
A is on a 10 half duplex interface, which has high collisions
(collisions are expected on half duplex interfaces).  My question is do
high collisions on a switchport affect data throughput? apart from the
collisions seen the port is clean with no errors.  Are there any other
checks I can carry out in the meantime while waiting for my App
engineers to get back to me?

You will experience a packet loss and performace issue if it is 10Mb and half duplex mode configured at client end what is the status at switch end,if possible try with auto configuration at both the end switch as well as at client end.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card