cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interview questions to ask regarding companies network

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

I had a quick phone interview the other day for a network engineering position and was asked to have another interview.  They asked me to have questions for next time regarding their network?

Any good questions that I should be asking regarding their network?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Depending upon the type of position, I would tend to ask questions regarding Design and Support. Always ask the questions in a manner that allows YOU to follow up and highlight how your skills would be beneficial to the company - don't just aks questions and listen to the response, use the answer as an opportunity.

Design:

Routing protocols used?

Firewalls used?

Switches/routers used?

Level of redundancy?

Type of Service? i.e. MPLS, VPN, etc.

and many, many more

Support:

Is the network fully documented via diagrams?

Are procedures documented?

Expectations of support for the environment?

Change procedures?

and many, many more

However, equally important is the stability of the company & department you would be working for:

How long has the person been the Manager for the team?

Why is there an opening? i.e Did someone leave or is the company expanding?

Always ask for a tour of the facilities where you would be working

Try to meet some of the staff before starting

The key is the company is looking for someone that will suit THEM. You, in turn, should be looking for a company where you would feel comfortable and fit in with the team. Most people know within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone whether or not there is any interest - that's why first impressions are so important.

Good luck,

Steve

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have no idea what the culture is like in other parts of the world.  Here in Australia, whenever I get a call and asking for an interview, the first question I will ask the caller is "May I be allowed to ask you who the members of the the panel interviewing me are and their roles?"  Why would I want to ask that?  My response is:  So I will be able to know how to frame my responses and questions appropriately.

This initial question will give the caller the impression that I mean business.  Most of the time the caller is part of the interview panel.  First impressions last.

Heard about the old axiom "Know the company you are applying for."?  Well I would craft questions the way I imagine their network would be.

During an interview, BE POLITE.   (You have no idea how many feedbacks I get from interviews telling me that my conduct was very admirable.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

Please refer the below link ,You will get an good idea.

http://www.mplsvpn.info/search/label/Interview

Regards

Chetan Kumar

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

They (the company interviewing) are asking me to have questions to ask them of their network.

Depending upon the type of position, I would tend to ask questions regarding Design and Support. Always ask the questions in a manner that allows YOU to follow up and highlight how your skills would be beneficial to the company - don't just aks questions and listen to the response, use the answer as an opportunity.

Design:

Routing protocols used?

Firewalls used?

Switches/routers used?

Level of redundancy?

Type of Service? i.e. MPLS, VPN, etc.

and many, many more

Support:

Is the network fully documented via diagrams?

Are procedures documented?

Expectations of support for the environment?

Change procedures?

and many, many more

However, equally important is the stability of the company & department you would be working for:

How long has the person been the Manager for the team?

Why is there an opening? i.e Did someone leave or is the company expanding?

Always ask for a tour of the facilities where you would be working

Try to meet some of the staff before starting

The key is the company is looking for someone that will suit THEM. You, in turn, should be looking for a company where you would feel comfortable and fit in with the team. Most people know within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone whether or not there is any interest - that's why first impressions are so important.

Good luck,

Steve

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have no idea what the culture is like in other parts of the world.  Here in Australia, whenever I get a call and asking for an interview, the first question I will ask the caller is "May I be allowed to ask you who the members of the the panel interviewing me are and their roles?"  Why would I want to ask that?  My response is:  So I will be able to know how to frame my responses and questions appropriately.

This initial question will give the caller the impression that I mean business.  Most of the time the caller is part of the interview panel.  First impressions last.

Heard about the old axiom "Know the company you are applying for."?  Well I would craft questions the way I imagine their network would be.

During an interview, BE POLITE.   (You have no idea how many feedbacks I get from interviews telling me that my conduct was very admirable.)

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks a million!!  I was offered the position today!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco