Views
Helpful
Replies

Error: Passed Max Device Limit

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to get a SIP phones onto Call Manager BE.  The user in question already has a deskphone associated with his CM user account.  After a lot of troubleshoting, I managed to find this:  Error: Passed Max Device Limit

I found a discussion on here but the resolution isn't clear.

Anybody any idea??

Thanks in advance,

Neil

11 Replies 11

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So, a couple questions:

1) Are you able to add the SIP phone or no?

2) Is this is a shared line configuration with the user's IP phone?

This error was pretty common a while back.  See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080875c69.shtml

for details on the scenario.  Typically arises when the Max Calls / Busy Trigger threshold has been exceeded.  For example, if you are adding a 3rd-party Basic SIP device then the line level will allow you to select 1-2 calls MAX per parameter.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

as always - thanks for the reply,

So I can add the 3rd party SIP Phone, shared line with a deskphone.  If I associate the phone with a new user, it registers fine.  If I associate it with an existing user (who's also associated wih the phone on the shared line) it givrs me a 480 - Temporarily Not Available.  When I run a debug on the SIP phone (xlite) it tells me that CM returned "Error: Passed Max Device Limit".  So it would appear maybe that it's user specific, not device or line specific

thanks

Try for one user DN to set the Max Calls / Busy Trigger to match on the shared DN between IP phone and 3rd-Party SIP phone to 2/2. See what happens.

hey - tried what you suggested but no joy.  Only a handful of users need this set up so creating user accounts specifically for the SIP phones is not a big deal but it would be nice to know what the problem is?

SIP/2.0 480 Temporarily Not Available
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.0.0.102:49620;branch=z9hG4bK-d8754z-543e2e1a303bd45e-1---d8754z-;rport
To: ""Neil SIP""<309>;tag=1856941135
Call-ID: OTk2N2VmNzI4NjU3ZWMyOWJmM2Q3NDI5MTE4NTJiYTQ.
CSeq: 2 REGISTER
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:07:48 GMT
Warning: 399 MT-CUCMBE ""Error: Passed Max Device Limit""
Content-Length: 0

Another question(s):

How many DLU's are available in the licensing report on your cluster?

What is the Max Calls / Busy Trigger set to for the SIP phones when you add the shared line appearance?

Hailey

DLU's are fine - it works with a new user.

I've set the max calls/busy trigger to 2/2 for both devices.  But I only have the problem when I associate the SIP phone with the user who already has the desk phone associated with him - I mean controlled devices in CM User Account.  It's like as if it's preventing the user from having more than one device associated??

I might just try removing the desk phone association and see if that works - I'll post back in a minute

OK - so i removed the device that was already associated with the user but still no joy.

Hmmm.  Seems odd for sure.  I'm not aware of any limitation with associating a 3rd-party SIP device to an end user...in fact, it's part of the configuration procedures.  If I get a chance, I'll see what results I get in my lab.

What version of CUCM are you running?

Hailey

Thanks - I'll keep on looking at it as well.  I can't help but feel I'm just missing something obvious but I've been over and over it. And I'm just confusesd as to why it will work for a new user.  I will try another existing user to rule out it being an issue with just this user.

It's 7.0.1 Business Edition.

Just commentary - you gotta get off of that 7.0 code. It's way too buggy. Time to upgrade to 7.1(3b)SU2 (seriously).

Hello

Do you find any solution about this error?