Views
Helpful
Replies

Error: Passed Max Device Limit

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to get a SIP phones onto Call Manager BE.  The user in question already has a deskphone associated with his CM user account.  After a lot of troubleshoting, I managed to find this:  Error: Passed Max Device Limit

I found a discussion on here but the resolution isn't clear.

Anybody any idea??

Thanks in advance,

Neil

11 Replies 11

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So, a couple questions:

1) Are you able to add the SIP phone or no?

2) Is this is a shared line configuration with the user's IP phone?

This error was pretty common a while back.  See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080875c69.shtml

for details on the scenario.  Typically arises when the Max Calls / Busy Trigger threshold has been exceeded.  For example, if you are adding a 3rd-party Basic SIP device then the line level will allow you to select 1-2 calls MAX per parameter.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

as always - thanks for the reply,

So I can add the 3rd party SIP Phone, shared line with a deskphone.  If I associate the phone with a new user, it registers fine.  If I associate it with an existing user (who's also associated wih the phone on the shared line) it givrs me a 480 - Temporarily Not Available.  When I run a debug on the SIP phone (xlite) it tells me that CM returned "Error: Passed Max Device Limit".  So it would appear maybe that it's user specific, not device or line specific

thanks

Try for one user DN to set the Max Calls / Busy Trigger to match on the shared DN between IP phone and 3rd-Party SIP phone to 2/2. See what happens.

hey - tried what you suggested but no joy.  Only a handful of users need this set up so creating user accounts specifically for the SIP phones is not a big deal but it would be nice to know what the problem is?

SIP/2.0 480 Temporarily Not Available
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.0.0.102:49620;branch=z9hG4bK-d8754z-543e2e1a303bd45e-1---d8754z-;rport
To: ""Neil SIP""<309>;tag=1856941135
Call-ID: OTk2N2VmNzI4NjU3ZWMyOWJmM2Q3NDI5MTE4NTJiYTQ.
CSeq: 2 REGISTER
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:07:48 GMT
Warning: 399 MT-CUCMBE ""Error: Passed Max Device Limit""
Content-Length: 0

Another question(s):

How many DLU's are available in the licensing report on your cluster?

What is the Max Calls / Busy Trigger set to for the SIP phones when you add the shared line appearance?

Hailey

DLU's are fine - it works with a new user.

I've set the max calls/busy trigger to 2/2 for both devices.  But I only have the problem when I associate the SIP phone with the user who already has the desk phone associated with him - I mean controlled devices in CM User Account.  It's like as if it's preventing the user from having more than one device associated??

I might just try removing the desk phone association and see if that works - I'll post back in a minute

OK - so i removed the device that was already associated with the user but still no joy.

Hmmm.  Seems odd for sure.  I'm not aware of any limitation with associating a 3rd-party SIP device to an end user...in fact, it's part of the configuration procedures.  If I get a chance, I'll see what results I get in my lab.

What version of CUCM are you running?

Hailey

Thanks - I'll keep on looking at it as well.  I can't help but feel I'm just missing something obvious but I've been over and over it. And I'm just confusesd as to why it will work for a new user.  I will try another existing user to rule out it being an issue with just this user.

It's 7.0.1 Business Edition.

Just commentary - you gotta get off of that 7.0 code. It's way too buggy. Time to upgrade to 7.1(3b)SU2 (seriously).

Hello

Do you find any solution about this error?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: