Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Classification : Different Tier

Hi

Can any one provide me the network classification i.e Different Tier of network that can clear me the what are the req of every tier.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Chetan,

>> I heard : Network Tier 1 , Network Tier 2 & Network Tier 3

this refers to ISP classification in the internet

Tier 1 ISP are the oldest and big ones that do not import full BGP tables by other ones

A tier2 provider has one or more Tier1 upstream providers and multiple peering sessions with other Tier2 providers.

A tier3 provider is a customer of multiple Tier2 and or Tier1 providers

The classification is old as some ISPs classified as Tier2 are not so "distant" from tier1

see

http://webupon.com/services/internet-service-provider-isp-tiers-and-peering/

in attachment a document of William B. Norton about peering

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chetan,

When you say network classification, are you refering to security classifications?

Reza

Hi Reza

Accourding to me network is consist of all devices : Router , Switched , Firewall , Network Servers ( Radius or TACAUS)

The standard Network Tier classification that come with specific requriment link 27000 cetificaiton have their own requriment for Security.

The standard where you can classify you network

I heard : Network Tier 1 , Network Tier 2 & Network Tier 3

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Hello Chetan,

>> I heard : Network Tier 1 , Network Tier 2 & Network Tier 3

this refers to ISP classification in the internet

Tier 1 ISP are the oldest and big ones that do not import full BGP tables by other ones

A tier2 provider has one or more Tier1 upstream providers and multiple peering sessions with other Tier2 providers.

A tier3 provider is a customer of multiple Tier2 and or Tier1 providers

The classification is old as some ISPs classified as Tier2 are not so "distant" from tier1

see

http://webupon.com/services/internet-service-provider-isp-tiers-and-peering/

in attachment a document of William B. Norton about peering

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuslar

Thanks for your reply & huge explanation.

Can you brief  the same one with SP POP Tier.

Regrads

Chetan kumar

Hello Chetan,

>> SP POP Tier.

this should simply means that you can have an inner core that interconnects tier1 POPs, tier2 POPs connect to inner core tier1 POP(s)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Larosa,

can you please give me some cleaning of mind? recently a friend was to a boot camp take exam and he told me that he showed my network diagram to a teacher and the teacher told him that my network is level 6. and i'm doubt about that.

so can you tell me if Cisco have a way to rate a network? and how this is done? or if there's a way to classify a network based on diagram?

Hello Alcides,

>> so can you tell me if Cisco have a way to rate a network? and how this is done? or if there's a way to classify a network based on diagram?

I'm not aware of any form of rating for networks

>> he showed my network diagram to a teacher and the teacher told him that my network is level 6

it is impossible to say what the teacher was meaning without appropriate context.

My personal guess is that the teacher may be giving a rating to the network complexity using his/her own personal scale

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: