QoS on Metro Ethernet Line

Unanswered Question
Jul 8th, 2010

I have a customer with 2811 router on HQ and five 861 routers on remote branches. Each remote site has a Metro-Ethernet line connected to HQ.

Customer use Windows Terminal services on remote sites to connect to the main server in HQ. Also he has cisco ip phones on remote sites. Before one month he install also IP cameras. Cameras send video streaming which is recorded on a server in HQ. After the installation of the cameras we have a lot of problems in the network. The service provider told us that the main Metro-Ethernet line at HQ is overloaded and they cannot increase the bandwidth due to the distance of customer premises from their exchange.

I would like to implement a QoS in the network in such a way to give priority first to voice, then to Windows Terminal services and lastly to video from cameras. Also I would like to reserve the bandwidth for voice and Windows Terminal and leave the video to use the remaining bandwidth.

Can you give me any guidelines and examples how to implement the qos to achieve those requirements.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Ganesh Hariharan Thu, 07/08/2010 - 23:57

I have a customer with 2811 router on HQ and five 861 routers on remote branches. Each remote site has a Metro-Ethernet line connected to HQ.

Customer use Windows Terminal services on remote sites to connect to the main server in HQ. Also he has cisco ip phones on remote sites. Before one month he install also IP cameras. Cameras send video streaming which is recorded on a server in HQ. After the installation of the cameras we have a lot of problems in the network. The service provider told us that the main Metro-Ethernet line at HQ is overloaded and they cannot increase the bandwidth due to the distance of customer premises from their exchange.

I would like to implement a QoS in the network in such a way to give priority first to voice, then to Windows Terminal services and lastly to video from cameras. Also I would like to reserve the bandwidth for voice and Windows Terminal and leave the video to use the remaining bandwidth.

Can you give me any guidelines and examples how to implement the qos to achieve those requirements.

Hi ,

Check out the below link for qos design

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSIntro_40.html#wpxref77037

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Actions

This Discussion