Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto-discovery flows

svolansky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to ask you couple of questions regarding WAE optimization.

We are experiencing really high number of auto-discovery flows and as a result also TFO overload alarms on the box. We have also applied new classifier to pass-through particular traffic flows. I've checked the troubleshooting guide and found out following:

Another useful counter is the Current Active Auto-discovery Flows, which  displays flows that have not been fully set up to become optimized  flows or pass-through flows. To become fully set up, the connection must  see the SYN, SYN ACK, ACK handshake, which is useful to note when  dealing with an overload condition. The Current Active Pass-Through  Flows counter shows connections that the device has determined to be  pass-through or where the device did not see the SYN, SYN ACK, ACK  setup.

First, I thought that our classifier is wrong but after reading this it looks like that WAE has to see full syn/syn ack/ack handshake to determine if this flow is going to be optimized or pass-throuh. If there is not a full handshake, this connection will act as auto-discovery and WAE does not check it against our classifier. Is my interpretation correct ? Is there any way how can I check if our classifier is matching any traffic flows?

Many thanks!

Stan

2 Replies 2

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stan,

While this does not answer your question directly, maybe those will be helpful:

- show stati appli (you can give appname here)

- show auto-d list

Marcin

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Stan,

WAAS performs classification against the initial SYN packet in the flow.  This is how a given device determines how it wants to handle the flow.  From there, we rely on the auto-discovery mechanism to determine if there is a peer WAAS device in the path that is capable of performing the same optimization.

Right now we don't keep per-classifier statistics, but we do keep statistics per application.  To check and see if your classifier is matching any traffic, you can put the classifier in its own application and use the command:

sh stat app

where is the name of the application you put the classifier in.

Regards,

Zach