cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Office Wireless Project, Recommend the right Cisco Kit please.

nigelmayhemini
Level 1
Level 1

Reasonable sized office which currently does provide wireless to guests and when staff wish to connect touch and ipads.

The currently wireless technology is a UK standard telephone line BT, with an BT Adsl 2 plus internet speed.

The standard issue BT router (wireless g) sits in a closed room and via patching to the desk feeds two linksys wap 54g access points.

It is now desired that the wireless be upgraded to N technology, sister offices have proper wall mounted cisco equipment to provide wireless.

I have attach a basic office map and have highlighted the important areas with red crosses.

Server room red cross is the localtion of the ADSL in and were the current router sits.

The left and right red cross are the location of Linksys access points, it is believed the left cross was actually lost some were down the line.

As you can see the office is a fair size, I am not very good with distance but it has to be around 130 feet from end to end?

I am a basic computer engineer and my review of the cisco equipment required is.

1x A cisco ADSL 2 plus modem with ethernet ports.

1x A cisco Aironet 1140 (Cisco Aironet 3500 Series??) mounted on the external wall to the top right couner of the server room.

Further points of interest.

Currently no logging is in place for guest internet access.

Access points in place should be fully backwards compatable, A/G etc.

Since the office is fully patched for gigabyte network, a second cisco access point could be placed under a desk as maybe required as long as that being safe.

This I expect is a standard upgrade, what would be the best cisco kit, there is rack space so 2u space is available if it is necessary over just throwing a adsl box on a shelf as is currently the case.

Upgrade will be completed with in the next 30days.

4 Replies 4

Elliott Shawd
Level 1
Level 1

The 3500 isn't out yet, so you'll have to go with the 1142. I don't think you'll be able to get away with just one, either. Your building has a unique shape, so you could go with 2-4 depending on where you place them. My recommendation is that you go with 4 set at a low power setting. Also, you must mount them to the ceiling tile/grid if you have a drop ceiling. Otherwise, you have to come up with a clever way to mount them to the wall or ceiling. Read up on these:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10092/prod_installation_guides_list.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10092/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3500 is already shipping since end of May 2010.  It's US$100 more expensive than the 1140 (according to the Cisco SE).  If you want to use the built-in Spectrum Analyzer of the 3500, Cisco recommends that you deploy the 3500 exclusively with no other models.  This is due because the 3500 will "talk" to each other so they can coordinate the proper use of the channels, which is a unique feature to the 3500 only.

Because the 3500 doesn't come with an Autonomous IOS (as of yet?), I'd recommend you'll need to get a WLC.  I'd recommend the 4400 series or the 5508.  I wouldn't recommend a WiSM because of the small amount of APs you will need to deploy.

If you find our posts helpful, please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks. 

Don't you think the wlc is a bit overkill for 4 APs? Not to mention the spectrum analysis ability of the 3500?

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Please mark the Question as Answered if the provided information is correct and issue is fixed.

thanks,
Vinay

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: