Views
Helpful
Replies

Consolidating zonesets from 2 VSANs

wosuser2009
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where we took 2

datacenters and collapsed them into 1. Each datacenter had it's on set of 2 switches, for dual paths,

and storage.  Each also had different VSANs for host to storage connectivity.  Now that they are in the same datacenter, i need for the systems from both to have the ability to see the storage from both without using inter-vsan routing.  it looks something like this:

DC1 = VSAN10 and VSAN20 (dual paths)  1 zoneset each for hosts and storage

DC2 = VSAN40 and VSAN60 (dual paths)  1 zoneset each for hosts and storage

They are now all in DC1 so i want ti to look like this:

DC1 = VSAN110 and VSAN120 (dual paths)

VSAN110 = a merging of the zones from VSAN10 and VSAN20

VSAN120 = a merging of the zones from VSAN40 and VSAN60

is there any automated way to merge these zonesets?  Or am i stuck with creating the new zonesets and then manually adding all the zones.

Thanks,

Bob

5 Replies 5

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

i have not tried this but could you create a new VSAN  (110) and then copy both VSANS (10 and 20) into the new one. You will need to move host/system ports to that VSAN so obviously all this is disruptive.

@dynamoxxx

Will Fabric Manager allow you to copy one zoneset into another zoneset? Effectively "merging" them?  I knew you could copy a zoneset from one VSAN into another, but didn't think it would allow you "merge" them.  I'll have to give it a shot in the lab..

Hello Bob

I'm not sure if it does.

However, if your comfortable with the command line it would be a doddle to do a show run, grab the bits you want, edit in notepad, and then paste the lot back in.

Even easier if you use device aliases as you then only have to worry about the zone config.

Thanks

Steven

So the "zone set" portion of the output are the actual commands to create a zone?  that's what it looks like.  If that's the case, then it looks like you are right and that would make things a lot easier..  thank you!

Hello Bob

Not sure if you were expecting a reply, but yes the zone set portion are the commands (give or take the odd "config t")

Steven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: