boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

c2821 platform with 524288 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

According to the output you have provided, the Compact Flash card in your router is either corrupt or has become unusable. These CF cards do this occassionally. Do you have a similar 2821 router? If yes then try using its CF card in your router to see if it boots up. Then try to format the original CF card using the command format flash: and if that works out, store the IOS image back on the card.

Best regards,

Peter

I have farmated the flash and load the ios image "c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T2.bin" with another cisco 2821 router but still i facing  the same problem.

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The issue seems to be a corrupted image or corrupted flash. If you have any other router that accepts the flash card and uses same type of file system (typically all ISRs use same file system), then you can put the flash card over there and format it. Then copy the image again to the flash (when you do it on non 2811 router, it might complain, ignore it). If you do not have another device, then you break into ROMMON and then use "tftpdnld -r" option to boot the router by loading the image in RAM.  Then you can use the same router to format the flash.

Here is a document on recovering the router using tftpdnld.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1070700

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

I have formated the flash and load the ios image (c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T2.bin) with another cisco 2821 router still i am facing same problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: